First brew - Coopers lager kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Localfisher

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

So, i couldnt wait any longer and went to my local brew shop and purchased a coopers lager brew kit, great advice they gave too aswell as customer service.
Really wanted to try a lager so ive jumped in the deep end.
Im using a balliihoo brew set which has a 25 litre fv.
I think it all went well, temp was 24 upon adding yeast and is being kept at that now, as per the guides given in the kit.
SG didnt go so well, really hard to understand markings etc but think it was 1035, does this sound rright?
Anyways, ill let u all know how it goes, and was hoping someone would tell me how do i know fermentation has started, and how long before it starts, i am using a handy airlock?????

Wish me luck

I think mine was 1042. Have a look in the "how to" section, there's a section in there on how to read your hydrometer.

How much sugar/spray malt did you add ? Also did you give it a really good stir, this may also give you a lower reading.

You'll see a crust forming on the top of the beer after 12-24 hours, this will show that it's fermenting. Leave it alone for 5 or 6 days, don't keep checking it :whistle: Take a sample or drop the hydrometer into the fv ( sanitise everything that goes near the beer ) and see what the reading is then.

Mr.Everready said:
I think mine was 1042. Have a look in the "how to" section, there's a section in there on how to read your hydrometer.

How much sugar/spray malt did you add ? Also did you give it a really good stir, this may also give you a lower reading.

You'll see a crust forming on the top of the beer after 12-24 hours, this will show that it's fermenting. Leave it alone for 5 or 6 days, don't keep checking it :whistle: Take a sample or drop the hydrometer into the fv ( sanitise everything that goes near the beer ) and see what the reading is then.

Shall i open the lid in 24 hours or can i see the crust through the fv, fv is plastic.

I used 1kg of vin classe sugar provided with my starter pack.

Ill read the how to guide and come back with any questions, is there any point in using the hydrometer this early on to take a reading as i understand you take your SG reading before adding the yeast, and then once the primary fermentation is complete, or the number of days recommended by the kit supplier has passed.
I wouldntget a true SG if i did it now would i?

Not sure if im being thick or not but look forward to your reply.

Ok, ive read it, and use it once the time is right, the main problem really was understanding the number layout!! The missus showed me the way!!!

Think i might in vest in a turkey baster aswell to take a sample unless anyone knows another way??...

No harm in cracking it open slightly to have a peek. You may even see the crust through the lid if its opaque.

The SG may have been low if you didn't mix it up well, getting more water at the top of the fv. Don't bother taking another hydrometer reading until you think that the fermenting has stopped.

After 5 or 6 days I drop my hydrometer in and leave it there rather than having to take a sample every day or dropping it in every day.

I'm going to have a look tonight to see if I can see a crust forming on top of the brew, is there anythinf else I can check to see if fermentation has started?

A question about bottling.
I'm brewing lager which will mean wanting it cold, I have a keg and will be getting bottles, I cant afford too many bottles to begin with so Id like to put some in the keg and some in bottles once the process is complete and then put the bottles in the fridge, once those bottles are empty, and having gassed the keg with co2 cannisters, can I then fill the bottles and put them in the fridge, of do I need to choose either to use just the keg or just bottles?

Make sense??? Hope so!!!!

Ok, so ive read alot of the site today and have come up with a poa, this is my first time so please if anything is wrong, or i could do it better another way please speak up, thanks.

Firstly, ive got a nice frothy, orange crusty top of my brew after 24hrs, fermentation has begun.

The plan -
Let primary fermentation complete hopefully after 1 week but not letting it go over 2 weeks, making sure i have 3 same readings from the hydrometer over 3 days, this is where i might struggle!!!

I will then syphon from my FV into my keg ( im not sure whether to prime here or at bottling stage )
I will then leave this where in the same place as the initial FV for a few weeks, perhaps 4 weeks max ( any ideas ).
Should i take a FG reading here or use the one taken earlier?

Once secondary fermentation is complete, i will prime some bottles with sugar and use a bottling stick from my keg and fill and flip top the bottles, invert and store in dark place about 18-27c for a further 2-4 weeks???
Then :wha: fridge them and drink them.....fast lol
:drink:

What you all think, is this process ok, where im secondary fermenting it in my keg, should i prime it here or at bottling stage? The reason for using the keg is that it has a tap on, my FV doesnt.
Are my timings right aswell?

Any help would be great!

Thanks in advance

There will be no secondery fermentation with the kit. After the fermentation has finished bottle it, leave it to condition for about a week then put it somewhere for a month or 2.

Condition...am i right in understanding that the conditioning you are talking about, is adding the brew to primed bottles and storing in warm dark place 18-27c, where would i move them then for 2 months?

Sorry if i seem dumb im really not!

Yeh, conditioning is turning the priming sugar to bubbles :P

You're looking too much in to it. Follow the Coopers instructions, you wont go far wrong.

Thanks for your replies, got caps a capper and bottles, and coopers carbonation drops, so straight to the bottle it goes, thanks again

Evening all,
5th day of fermentation and taken my first sg reading, its at 1008, see what tomorrow brings!!

Coopers Lager was my second kit. I din't really know what I was doing, & used Demerara sugar (Left over after my Wherry). I thought it would be ruined, but it turned out a cracking drink (The Demerara gave it a crisp taste, although slightly bitter, but I'd use brewing sugar next time)

It went down a treat, & was fairly strong, at around 4.9%.

I'd definitely do it again :cheers:

Ok, bottled my beer last night, FG 1006 equalling 4.7% really nice to taste, cant wait for the final product, thank you for all your help in hopefully making my first brew a success!!

It will be even better when it has been in the bottle a while.. then you will get the real benefit from it all!

Latest posts

Back