Which Yeast for St Peter's Ruby Red Ale?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guyb

Regular.
Reaction score
I am going to do the St Peter's Ruby Red Ale kit next and was wondering if I should pitch the kit yeast or replace it with something better?

I took the advice here with the Wherry and replaced the supplied yeast with Safale-04.

Should I do the same with the Ruby Red Ale? Or will it alter the finished beer from that intended?

Many thanks

I literally just finished bottling my St Peters kit 10 mins ago and i just used the kit yeast and it worked fine, the brew was bubbling away frantically in 12 hours and did so for a further 2 days before slowing down.

There was a noticeable Krausen ring above the beer and the head produced after 2 days brewing made me think oh my if this dont stop iwill have a froth over.

all in all i brewed the beer for 8 days before bottling and so far all looks good.

I will let you know more when I do the first taste test in about 10days time.
The beer when bottling was nearly but not quite clear, although I am sure it will clear nicely in the bottle.

A tip for anyone who obviously hasnt already done this (its obvious mind) is to bottle one beer (I coose one after first 10 bottles say) and do that bottle in a clear bottle like a Newcastle Brown Ale bottle. This I think gives you a nice reference for Clarity of your brew in the bottle as I know some brown and green bottles are fairly Opaque.

Good Luck :drink:

Many thanks for this reply, am looking forward to doing the brew.

Good tip on the clear bottle, I do that, plus I put a brew into about four 25cl stubbies as well as the normal 500ml or 1 litre bottles, so I can sample a small amount of the brew while it's conditioning :D

another tip re bottling - use an old coke bottle or similar 500 ml plastic bottle, and fill with beer. As well as being abel to see the beer, you will also be able to check if it's carbonated or not. Obviously, if it has carbonated, you will not be able to squeeze the bottle much.

I just bought a bottle of St Peter's Ruby Red ale in asda today. Never tried it before, and am looking forward to having it later.

that was bloody nice, I am going to have to get their kit now t osee if it tastes anything like the bottle i just drank.

hello guys. I know this thread is old and maybe some of you aren't using using this site or even worse you're doing AG.
just wandered if you're st peters turned plumpton?
I'm really thinkin about doing 3kg kits. st peters or festival look like the best options.
also were the st peters yeast 10grams?

cheers

hello guys. I know this thread is old and maybe some of you aren't using using this site or even worse you're doing AG.
I'm really thinkin about doing 3kg kits. st peters or festival look like the best options.

cheers

I don't think any of the posters in this thread use the forum anymore but there are plenty of other forumites who have and do make the festival and st peters kits so will probabably be able to answer your Q's

I've do the San Pedro's Ruby kit and used Wilko Gervin yeast. It reliable, neutral, flocs well, cheap as chips and you can't go wrong with it really.

cheers

Just poured a st petes Ruby Red from a 5 litre keg I brewed in January. It's a good one and almost identical to the comercial version. I used the kit yeast and resisted tweeking it, so, done as per instructions. Looking at my notes, it took 10 days to ferment out to 1008, but was almost clear by then. Used 15 gms MSM to carbonate each 5 ltr keg. Took longer to mature, maybe because I kegged it. - didn't think to bottle any for trial purposes - 3 months in it's a nice beer, but standard rather than special I'd say.

cheers guys,

Crewebrewer, il probably go with a Nottingham then just to be on the safe side.

I read on a blog anything lower than 8 grams wouldn't fully attenuate youre beer and its stuck with me.

Happy brewing

Marlon

Did you use the yeast in the kit? sounds like it attenuated well.

Chris

Marlon

Did you use the yeast in the kit? sounds like it attenuated well.

Chris

Yes I did. I've replaced the yeast in Woodfordes kits, but this was my first St. Peters so, thought I'd give it the benefit of the doubt. I kept it at constant temperature, 19-20 deg, and all went well.
Good luck...

sorry yes you did say you used the kit yeast. I've got this kit on its way with some specialty grains. I'm planning on doing the same as you by following the instructions but using gervin/nottingham yeast.
you mention it came out good but if you had another opportunity to do the kit again would add any steeped grains?

This was my second ever home brew and actually is a pretty good kit.. I would def reccomend this to a new brewer.. I thought the original yeast was fine, not sure what it wa sthough..

Not sure what yeast I would swap with, for dry probably S04 or windsor.. (not that I have ever tried either of them).. Not sure whether I woudl want to dry it out with an 05 or nottingham.. but some people here seem to suggest it works well so maybe so :thumb:

sorry yes you did say you used the kit yeast. I've got this kit on its way with some specialty grains. I'm planning on doing the same as you by following the instructions but using gervin/nottingham yeast.
you mention it came out good but if you had another opportunity to do the kit again would add any steeped grains?

Yes I think I would. I like a malty, full bodied beer myself and whilst it came out OK, my taste buds decided it would be better with more body. Will add to the kit next time. But it's all about personal preferences in the end. I've got a Woodfordes Nog in the FV at present and 3 different kits waiting in the brew bunker, so the next St. Petes in a way off yet. Incidently, I used a gervin from Wilko's for the Nog. Been plopping away for 12 days so far, but that's got other stuff in with it so I'm expecting a long wait ...

well im glad you told me this as I too like a maltier full bodied beer. I assumed these kits were all malt, so thought theyre would already be enough malt going on to not have to add any more.
Would you add any particular specialty grains?
Sounds like the woodforde's is coming on nicely then, was anything added to this?

I was informed by a member of staff at Biggerjugs that it was a 6g pack but not specific on brand. Im not really up to speed yet on yeasts but im learning. one thing I did read from a john Palmer blog was yeast quantity was also important especially if you don't do starters.

Glad it turned out ok, im looking forward to making a batch.

Back