alcoshots

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbierat

Reaction score
hi, i bought the alcoshots it takes 5 days to make but on the 4th day it says add acid stabiliser and finings 1,2 and 3. the 5th day add the flavouring and sugar, my question is do i get a hydrometer reading on the 4th day, if so what should the end result be as not giving on the instructions. iam also doing young's merlot wine and thats looking great and it gives me readings on this. iam 43 lol but i could do with your expertise on this stuff. :wha:

I think you're on your own with that one, it's probably not the sort of thing that many of us would choose to make.

Come on then, give us some help.

Is this one of the shots kits like they sell in Tesco?
I've picked up one of the boxes, had a quick glance but put it back because it felt empty.

Who makes it and how does this work?

What do you get for your money and how much of what do you have to add to make what volume?

If the brew you have made is along the lines of the prohibition kits you should be looking at a final gravity of 990 . Thats if all has gone well sometimes they have a habit of sticking temperature control is the main thing as they ferment very quickly and create their own heat

I did the Apple kit last year for use at BBQ's, I can't remember using the hydro, i just waited for it to stop bubbling and then followed the instructions, its a very sweet drink although that could be something to do with the kilo or more sugar you add at the final stages

is this the kit that you are talking about: http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.207-5536.as ... t=207-5536

Kit Instructions:

Checklist of Kit contents and ingredients
- 2 Fermentation Containers - Pack A: Yeast/Nutrient
- 1 Container Lid - Pack B: Acid/Stabiliser
- Sugar Pack 1 - 1000grm (1kg) - Pack C: Finings
- Sugar Pack 2 - 800grm - Pack D: Finings
- Syphon Tube and Clip - Pack E: Finings
- Pack F: Flavourings Compound

Step by Step Instructions
Day 1 – Fermentation

Rinse one fermentation container thoroughly with hot water.
Boil the kettle.
Fill your fermentation container to 1.5 litres with the boiling water.
Pour the contents of Sugar Pack 1 into the boiling water and stir (with your spoon) for 30 seconds to completely dissolve the sugar.
Top up with cold tap water to 3.8 litres and stir for 1 minute.
Pour the contents of Pack A: Yeast/Nutrient into the liquid, stir for 10 seconds then place the lid on the pail and leave to ferment at warm room temperature (20-25°C) for 4 days.

Day 4 – Clearing

After 4 days fermentation, pour the contents of Pack B: Acid/Stabiliser into the liquid and stir vigorously for 1 minute to dissolve the stabiliser and remove the majority of the gas from the liquid.
Pour the contents of Pack C: Finings 1 into the liquid then stir gently for 10 seconds and leave to stand for 1 hour.
After 1 hour, pour the contents of Pack D: Finings 2 into the liquid then stir gently for 10 seconds then immediately proceed to step 10.
Pour the contents of Pack E: Finings 3 into the liquid then stir gently for 10 seconds, refit the lid and leave to stand undisturbed for 24hrs on a raised surface (like a kitchen worktop) to allow the liquid to be syphoned later.

Day 5 – Syphoning & Finishing-off

After 24hrs the liquid should be clear, if not leave until clear before proceeding.
If clear, rinse the second container with hot water and syphon the liquid into this using the syphon tube and bucket clip provided. It is important to syphon-off as much liquid as possible while taking care not to disturb the sediment at the bottom of the container. You should end up with at least 2.7L of clear liquor. At this stage I managed to get 2.8L of liquor. If the sediment is disturbed at any point during the syphoning process, pour any syphoned liquid back into the original container, cover and leave the liquid to resettle for a further 24hrs.
Pour the contents of Pack F: Flavouring Compound into the clear liquor and stir for 10 seconds.
Finally, add the contents of Sugar Pack 2 then stir for 10-15 seconds to completely dissolve the sugar.
Serving Suggestions
When you have made your alcoshot pour it into a carafe and chill in the fridge. Then serve to your friends in vodka glasses with a touch of ice.

After you have syphoned off the liquor sterilise the pail, lid, syphon tube and spoon using boiling water. When the equipment is cool and dry, place the syphon tube and spoon inside the pail ready for your next kit.

Thanks Daryl, did you sit and type that lot out, or copy and paste from somewhere else?

Anyway, if you start with 1kg of sugar in 3.8 litres = 263g/l, that would give an OG of 1.095

If that ferments down to 0.990 as mickyfinn suggests, that's just over 14% abv.

Surely only a Turbo yeast could do that, why are there 3 finings sachets, is one of them charcoal?

Volume losses on racking are hideous, but if you are only giving it a day to clear it hasn't got any time for the sediment to pack down.

If you then add 800g of sugar to 2.8 litres that gives 3.3 litres and it's back to 1.077 :shock:

That's about the same as putting 10 heaped tsps of sugar in your mug of coffee. :sick:

thats the one daryl_crossley. this thing was on offer for 2 days at tesco for £10 so i got the blueberry and a mixed fruit one (red). anyways i put a bit more sugar in the starter and reading was 1.110 it is now at 0.990. should add the finnings today. the sugar at the end iam putting it in too taste rather than putting it all in. moley does it make a difference on the abv when you put sgar in the final product? thanks both of you for your replies of knowledge, love you guys great stuff. :clap:

mickyfinn you are right with the end result, i will see how it goes later and see if it drops a bit more before i add the finnings, :pray: i just hoping this turns out to be good stuff. i will keep you all posted, thanks for all your replies, :cheers:

robbierat said:
moley does it make a difference on the abv when you put sugar in the final product?
Not usually. If your brew isn't stabilised then fermentation will start up again, so it will get stronger.

Adding sugar slightly increases the volume which will slightly decrease the abv, but usually you wouldn't be adding enough to make any appreciable difference.

If you throw in a pound of sugar you'll end up with half a pint more liquid, so for example if you've now got 5 pints at 16.3% abv that will become 5.5 pints at 14.8% abv.

these alcoshots are supposed to be 15% abv can i still measure it after the finings have gone in and time for racking? when i put the finings in i have to wait a day. also this stuff only takes 5 days to make, my wine is 7 days, both are young's. my wine is 22 bottle merlot red. thats reading 0990 and 2 days to go, supposed to be 11% but i started it at 1.080. :cheers:

Moley said:
Thanks Daryl, did you sit and type that lot out, or copy and paste from somewhere else?

Copied from somewhere else..... I'm a very busy man when I'm here at work :whistle:

The Alcoshot stuff goes down well with the 'Young Uns' but doesn't last very long for how much it costs

it was on offer £10 so i got 2, buckets will come in handy and the siphening tube, a few shots before bed to knock me out lol.i got the spoon as well as 2 bags of sugar so i only had to add water, bargain, it is back to £20 each so i think i got a bargain just hope the wife likes it :lol:

Just bought 9 of these is tesco for £14, was labelled as £7 something each but self scanner kept on reducing, bought 2 apple and 7 blueberry, shelf = empty. Paid and ran!
Lets see how these turn out, anyone else tried there's?

I bought one of these kits out of date and ended up just using the sugar for a rhubarb wine and keeping the buckets and tubing for future, rest went in the bin, mixed fruit shots did not sound good!!

These are pretty nice, realised also they are youngs branded, went back and got 20 more boxes and now show up at £1 each :)

Does anyone know what finings are used on alcoshots kits? I bought an out of date kit and the yeast has started fermenting fine but 2 of the 3 finings look almost crystalised and I wondered if there wss any chance they are still useable or if I should just use something like gelatin instead?

hi i have also just got the mixed fruit version of this kit and was wondering once fermenting is done can this be bottled into swing top bottles and if yes how long can they be stored for ?

I am planning on using glass bottles for mine, i cant see any problems for a swing tops,
im going to use the finings (mine are crystallized aswell) im going to dissolve them first and then add them.
As for how long can it be stored for id say quite along time???? as most shots type drinks have a long Use by date.

i finally managed to put this kit to use the other day :smile: but was wondering - it is meant to finish fermenting on Friday but i shall be away will it be ok to leave it in the fermenter till Sunday ? and also will this be ok to bottle in capped glass bottles ?

Kit instructions are wildly optimistic my seven day kit is on day ten and still bubbling every ten seconds, it will be fine.

Back