The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Kit Reviews > Muntons Imperial Stout Review

Old 06-02-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
jobby

Default Re: Muntons Imperial Stout Review

started this kit just over 2 weeks ago and did have a little trouble getting the final reading down to a acceptable level but with a gentle stir and increase in temp managed to get it down to 1014 after 14 days, now in the keg and primed with 85grams sugar, 1st sample taste while kegging was very interesting and if all goes to plan will be a super pint now the long wait
i did add 2 weetabix too this kit at the start as advised by my local brewer

Old 17-02-2012, 12:29 AM   #2
the-erl

Hi Jobby,

What is the reason behind adding weetabix?

Chhers

Old 17-02-2012, 06:52 AM   #3
Essex_Lad

Hi,

I also have one of these kit on the go, its been around 14 days now and its at 1014, after around 8 days it seemed to be stuck on 1020 but like yourself with a stir its soon started up again.

Will be bottling this sunday and will test my first one at the end of March - will report back then

Would also like to know about the weetabix?

Fermenting: San Francisco Steam Beer, Di and Danny's Golden Ale, Nelsons Revenge

Clearing: Muntons Gold Smugglers Ale, Brewferm Dark Abbey (ABDIJ), St Peters Ruby Red, Brupaks Linthwaite Light

Conditioning: Munton Gold Stout, Coopers Ginger Beer, EDME Stout with "Extras", Christmas 2012

Drinking: NOG, BrewFerm Diablo, Colne Valley Bitter, Nelsons Revenge, The Home Brew Shop - Di and Danny's Golden Ale Beer Kit, Coopers Lager, Wherry

Old 17-02-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
jobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-erl
Hi Jobby,

What is the reason behind adding weetabix?

Chhers
hi
i was told it will make the head creamier, its tasting very nice now after 2 weeks in the keg, i used some the other night to make a steak and ale pie

Old 17-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
shearclass

I didn't add Weetabix or Crunchie not cornflakes, or any other breakfast cereal to mine, but it is one of the bst kits I've done.

I am getting some kits used up and then plan to go extract brewing, but I strongly reccomend this kti to any otherkit brewer.

I drank it slowly at first so the majority of it had at least 2 months (probably more) to condition before i started drinking it more quickly.

Old 17-02-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
shearclass

Don't be fooled by the name though, there is nothing imperial about this stout! Mine was about 3.8% i think.

Old 18-02-2012, 07:02 AM   #7
blackrat

As others have said this is a great kit and the results superb, in my opinion this is better than Guinness.

I just followed the instructions but beware, this kit goes crazy in the first couple of days. If you dont have much headroom above the liquid in your FV, put the FV in a container or put some towels under it if this is not possible. If you have the new style Coopers FV with the Krausen collar you will be fine.

Here's a picture of mine after a few hours, you can just see the level of the liquid below the froth. After a day the froth filled the entire space before going down to nothing.

Dont let this put you off, the results are fantastic with nothing extra added.

Cheers

Blackrat

Drinking: Muntons Gold Continental Pilsner 1/6/12
Finished: Muntons Imperial Stout
Finished: Coopers Mexican Cerveza
Finished: Coopers Wheat Beer
Finished: Coopers Lager

Old 23-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
dye29

sounds great ive just got this kit , is it like guiness nice and creamy also im going to barrel it do i still use co2 in barrel

Old 29-11-2012, 08:18 PM   #9
blackcountry pie

Bin in the keg for 4 weeks now,just poured me a pint and what a smooth creamy stout with a prominent coffee an liquorice taste,prime with soft dark brown suger.definatley up there with me best brews.
cheers.

Old 17-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #10
Marcusp

Thanked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Newbie to home brew so please be patient but had the imperial stout in the fv now for 10 days. The starting sg was 1042 and after 7 days it seemed to stick at 1016 so I added some yeast nutrient and gave it a gentle stir. 3 days later its now down to 1014 but doesn't seem to be moving any further.
Does this sound like its finished or should I leave it longer.
The stout will be going into a corni after so not worried about bottle bombs but the sg just seems a little high still when my other beers have all finished around the 1010 mark