Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Kits & Brewing Equipment Reviews. > Coopers IPA review

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
calumscott

Liked 42 Times on 26 Posts

Default Re: Coopers IPA review

Coopers seem to be the pick of the bunch as far as 40pint one-can kits go. They get a lot of good press and rightly so in my opinion.

I brewed this one as the tin suggested with 500g spray malt and 300g dextrose and it, as is common with coopers beers, went off like a rocket. Well more like a gooey volcano actually. Don't brew it on your shag-pile!

The end product is a nice, well balanced, if a little thin, pale ale which could do with a bit more hoppiness if truth be told.

Perfectly drinkable in it's own right, I think some little tweaks would make this a really very good beer. Maybe a dry hopping and no sugar but all DME, maybe a full kilo to give it a bit more ooomph...

In summary, a perfectly decent pint as is but with the potential to be the base for something really quite nice.

Old 27-02-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
calumscott

Liked 42 Times on 26 Posts

Opened one of the "keep it for ages" stash of these yesterday.

4 months in the bottle hasn't made a great deal of difference flavour-wise but head retention and carbonation were definitely improved. A nice pint, slightly improved...

Old 12-05-2012, 02:16 AM   #3
Shanesfords

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

it was very nice one of the first kits i done made as per instructions but needs some sort of hop addition it s a bit bland otherwise
but one ill make again

Old 04-07-2012, 11:11 PM   #4
supercooper

Has anybody tried adding Hopped Spray Malt to this? Sounds like it might be a good idea?

Its next on my list to brew, so perhaps I'll try it and report back

Old 21-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
microbrewuk

I've got a tin of this in storage, and am going to kick this off as my next brew! Will definitely dry-hop to give it some more bite, after reading the review earlier!

Old 21-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
Rich747

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewed this with 500g light DME, 700g dextrose and 1L Goldings hop tea (10 min boil).

Been in the Cornie 3 weeks.

So far, my best brew yet and I LOVED the Ruby Red and the Wherry!
Planning: Getting Better
Building: Nil.

Old 22-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #7
LeedsBrewer

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I just bottled my Coopers IPA - took forever (note to self, get bottling tree and washer!) am going to do the wherry and st peters red next, then hopefully move on to extract brewing.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:36 AM   #8
barry44

Gents,

Coopers IPA was my first brew and is now approaching 8 weeks in the cold after 2 in the warm to condition.

It was brewed with the coopers brew enhancer 2.

I have sampled it over the weeks and never been too impressed with it, finding it quite harsh early on.

The harshness has largely dissipated but it is still not a brew that i am enjoying drinking at the moment.

I had read on here that people considered 8 weeks to be the turning point for this brew and that anytime after that it was a good 'un.

With this being my first brew, i had a couple of problems form wondering if i had rinsed the VWP sufficiently to actually dropping the can lid into the wort and fishing it out so there is a good chance that the taste may be compromised by these factors. So as a comparison, i am wondering if anyone with knowledge of the kit, made correctly, could point me in the direction of a store bought bottle to compare the coopers kit with?

Bear in mind that i am in Scotland and the supermarkets, whilst getting better, do not stock a lot of decent beers up here.

Many thanks guys.

Barry

Old 01-11-2012, 12:57 PM   #9
LeedsBrewer

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah the Coopers IPA was my first batch. Its only been in the bottle for 2 weeks but i'm not all that impressed with it. I'm hoping it will improve with age. It seems a little watery and tastes like I was expecting homebrew to taste... It's ok... drinkable but nothing special. If I were to do this kit again i'd do 1kg DME (instead of the 500g DME and 300g dextrose that the instructions say) and i'd probably only top up to 20L.

Just bought a Woodforde's Wherry from Wilkinsons - £18. I've read billions of reviews on here that say it's great so I have higher hopes for this batch.

Old 20-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #10
Jeff

I am going to give this one a go, read through the forum and some good reports, as a newbi not sure about adding hops, I have 100gms of Fuggies can some one advise if these are ok to add and if so what's the procedure?, also I want to use 500 grams of medium spray malt with 500 grams of brewing sugar, could do with a little advise. My plan is to bottle and store the end result.

Would also welcome suggestions on what to add to the bottles (500ml) for the 2nd fermentation, apologies if my questions are a little basic but still very much in the learning process.

Jeff