Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Kits & Brewing Equipment Reviews. > Coopers IPA review

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 20-11-2012, 01:09 PM   #11
LeedsBrewer

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Re: Coopers IPA review

If you are wanting to dry hop then i'd read this how to... viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7279

I did this kit with 500g light DME and 250 Dextrose. It is a little weak in taste but for my first ever kit im pretty happy with it. It is getting better with age.

For bottling I find it easier to batch prime. I add 90g ordinary sugar to a pan with a little water in and boil it up for a few minutes. Then cool it down to room temp by placing the pan in a sink of cool water. I add the sugar water to a bottling bucket and then siphon my brew into the bucket. This ensures that the sugar solution is evenly mixed in and that all of the bottles are evenly primed.

The other option is adding half a teaspoon of sugar to each bottle before filling. I would find this a faff though.

Old 15-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #12
DamageCase

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm looking at experimenting with one of these when I've got a bit more cash for additives. I've read quite a few reviews saying it comes out a little thin so I'll likely brew it short to 20 or 21 litres, use a kilo of beer enhancer and add a "hop tea" in the primary stage. I quite like strong American style IPAs so I'm thinking Cascade hops for the tea. Has anyone done something similar and could advise me? Alternatively, the John Bull IPA is priced around the same and is a 1.8 kilo kit, but I've not read much about them.
Pressure Keg 1: Tweaked Wilko Hoppy Copper (conditioning)
Bottled: Non
In the pipeline: Tweaked Wilko Pils, Coopers Lager, Bulldog: Hammer of Thor

Old 15-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #13
LeedsBrewer

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

i wont be trying this brew again (certainly not at the price i paid at kirkstall lhbs) at about 12 quid it'd be ok though. It's too weak and should def be short brewed. It also could do with dry hopping. I was happy with it for a first batch but you'll be disapointed with it if you stick to the instructions. I've heard that the betterbrew ipa is really good though.

Old 15-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #14
JB3

Just brewed this today as my 2nd ever brew. 500g light dme and 500g brewing sugar. If its drinkable i'll be happy

Old 15-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #15
Rwilts

Got to say this was my favourite brew of the year.
corny 2 empty
Corny 3 empty
Corny 4 empty
Stout with treacle bottled and conditioning.
Woodfords Sundew bottled and conditioning.
Milestone dark gallion bottled and conditioning.
Wilko Cerveza bottled and conditioning.
Woodfords Wherry bottled and conditioning.
Wilko Pear Cider bottled and conditioning.
Wilko Mixed Cider bottled and conditioning.
Youngs Pilsner Lager bottled.
Youngs Harvest Bitter bottled.

Old 15-12-2012, 11:32 PM   #16
mmaguy41

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I brewed this as my third brew, with 500g of medium dme and 1.1kg of honey. It was lovely, still one of my favorite kit brews ive done, if i did it again i would do a hop tea or dry hop to add a bit of freshness but i thought it was a great pint.

Old 20-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #17
JB3

Sitting drinking a few of these as i type, been bottled for 3 weeks. As its only my 2nd brew ever, i am more impressed with this than i was with my first brew (BrewBuddy Lager ) Not very hoppy but quite drinkable, decent head on pouring but it soon disappears. Overall a successful brew me thinks

Old 20-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #18
Monkeybrew

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

JB3, seriously if you like this, the next step to a two can kit will give a noticeable increase in quality and enjoyment.

Read around on here to find a kit you like the sound off but generally two can kits are worth the extra expense.

Old 21-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #19
JB3

Monkeybrew I have a Milestone Crusader in my FV at the moment, leaving it till the weekend so it will have had 2 weeks to ferment out.
I cannot wait to see / taste the difference between the 1 can kits i have done so far and this which will be my first 2 can kit.
RE my first post -
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB3
Just brewed this today as my 2nd ever brew. 500g light dme and 500g brewing sugar. If its drinkable i'll be happy
I am happy.
Cheers
Many Happy Brews to All

Old 28-02-2013, 09:57 AM   #20
warnie

This was my first brew, done to 21ltrs with the BKE2.

Only gave it 1 week in the fermenter as it was down to 1010 very quickly and I wanted to get another on quickly to build up stocks. Bottled on the 26/1 and I gave it only 1 week in the warm before transferring to my garage. I did try one or two after the 1st week and it was very drinkable. Now though it's fantastic, so good in fact that I gave a friend a bottle after we'd come back from a few pints of Bathams Bitter and we both agreed that this was not an inferior pint at all. Although I must admit the Bathams was very sweet for some reason.

I've got a better brew IPA on at the minute after I heard it was meant to be better than the coopers so I've got really high hopes for it.

FV: AG#4 Exmoor Gold

Conditioning: AG#3 Bathams Bitter MkII and strawberry wine

Drinking: AG#1 Bathams Bitter, AG2 Timothy Taylor Landlord, BB Czech Pilsner, Woodford Wherry, Coopers Stout, Coopers English Bitter and Better Brew IPA

Brewed in 2013 - 219ltrs

Entered the Darkside 5/5/13