Munton's Gold Midas Touch Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robo1984

Reaction score
2012-03-11161051.jpg

This was my first two can premium kit, no reason real for buying it other than I liked the look of the beer on the box and the description sounded good. The brew represented a couple of firsts for me, this was the first brew I fined with gelatine and the first brew I kegged (King Keg Top Tap).

The beer brewed out in about a week, then spent another week in the secondary fermenter with the gelatine, this all went hiccup free. I then kegged last week and primed with 85 grams of dextrose. The keg did not seal so i drank so of the beer early (5 days in keg), and to be honest I'm not an ale drinker but this is great, light taste at first then building to a nice malty taste with enough hops for me. I have now solved the keg issues so will leave a few weeks and test the results.

Now onto a Better Brew Export Lager...

Sounds good.

I put this on yesterday, as per box instructions, OG was 1.050. I'm going to bottle mine....unless one of my cornies becomes free. I'll report back later!

let us know what you think, how long are you going to bottle condition for? Mines been in keg 2 weeks and is great. Not really an ale fan but this is good, let me know how it compares to others you have tried. I'm seriously considering putting another one on...

Started drinking this after it had been in the bottle 8 weeks. It is a lovely beer more of a light brown colour than Golden.
Good head retention and carbonation & mine came out at 4.7%. This beer could be improved by increasing the hops, so perhaps if you make it then consoder making a hop tea but I am a bit of a hop head.

A very good Beer :drink:

Hmm just tapped my keg of Midas touch, been in the keg for about two months now. I love the hops in this it has a really nice citrus/pine after taste, reminiscent of American IPAs but not as bitter. Mine is 4 % making it nice and light. The stuff I bottled is over carbonated and has a nasty carbonic bite but the kegged stuff is great. Best kit I've done!
5d89b311-4a7f-1d98.jpg

I normally give a few bottles of each homebrew to mates to try, and they reckon this is the best so far. I'm not so sure, as I do have a soft spot for one of my LHBS's very hoppy kits, but Midas Touch is certainly up there. Mine came out at a whopping 5.2%, this is the second Gold kit I've done and both had fairly high OGs and fermented right out, so they're a quality kit (and subsequently cost a bit more). Tons of flavour (almost too much) and quite sweet, although I probably didn't leave it long enough in the keg - have a few bottles stashed so will see how they turn out. Like someone else said, my bottles have over-conditioned a bit - got 1/3 pint of beer and 2/3 head when I tried one.

Robo1984 said:
2012-03-11161051.jpg

This was my first two can premium kit, no reason real for buying it other than I liked the look of the beer on the box and the description sounded good. The brew represented a couple of firsts for me, this was the first brew I fined with gelatine and the first brew I kegged (King Keg Top Tap).

The beer brewed out in about a week, then spent another week in the secondary fermenter with the gelatine, this all went hiccup free. I then kegged last week and primed with 85 grams of dextrose. The keg did not seal so i drank so of the beer early (5 days in keg), and to be honest I'm not an ale drinker but this is great, light taste at first then building to a nice malty taste with enough hops for me. I have now solved the keg issues so will leave a few weeks and test the results.

Now onto a Better Brew Export Lager...

Whats with the gelatine, what does it do, how much do you use ?

Hi all,
I have just drained the last of my keg of midas touch.This was the best kit i have done so far out of about 12.
Will defo be doing this one again, the first time i have done a second of the same kit. Did 6 1L bottles so will leave them as long as possible.

Planning :- Sundew
Brewing :- 14L fiery ginger beer
Drinking :- BB Stout, Smugglers, BB Czech pils, St Peters IPA, On the Rocks Rasp & Lime cider, Midas touch.

I thought this had all gone, but to my surprise this evening I found a few bottles that I'd stashed away. :D :cheers:

It's had a few more weeks to bottle condition since my last taste, and is all the better for it. The sweetness and slight harshness is gone, leaving a full but well-rounded taste, with bags of flavour. Went to a local beer festival last weekend and this tastes better than 80% of the beers I tried. Will definately do it again, bottle it all and leave it locked away for at least 3 months.

And you can see how much gas it's generated in the photo :shock: Very clear, and the yeast is staying put at the bottom of the bottles :)

midas_touch_small.jpg

All looks good, should be able to bottle mine within the next couple of weeks. Looking forward to giving it a go

Edit
Bottled 01/10/12 shall try to hold out for 4 weeks before trying one, but may give in after 2

all i can say is wow, ythis was my first two can kit abnd is so much better than all the rest i have done mmmmmm, it is also the first kit i have put into a pressure barrel, i primed with 85g of sugag and it has given it the perfect ammount of fizz without being fizzy if you know what i mean lol, a nice head and tastes amazing.

Foot note, found a bottle of this that was 8 months old. This was the last kit I did before going to AG. Must say it was excellent. Slight honey and spice notes ? Styrian Goldings. If I hadn't known I would have thought it was a AG brew. Enjoyed it so much I only remembered to take a photo after it was gone :)

4yryvezu.jpg

My brew has turned out into a lovely pint and is up there in the list of best brews (kits) came out at a whopping 5.6% its a fizzy ale ( half tsp per 500ml bottle ) was brewed on 2nd August and bottled on the 9th as shown in my records.
My only niggle is, its not what I'd call a GOLDEN ALE.. quite a dark amber colour and nowhere near the colour I imagined or what was portrayed on the box.

Good kit beer

Im brewing this at the moment, ready to bottle soon.

How many teaspoons of sugar should I put in a 500ml bottle?

This is a tasty, reliable brew which I'll be buying again. It's definitely the most flavoursome of the 4 brews I have done (see also my Milestone Olde Home Wrecker and Muntons Best). Has a light aroma and a notably fruity bitterness.

My wife bought this for me - part of a home brewing starter kit - for my birthday. Am a lucky guy. The kit marked my return to home brewing after a 15 year break and, partly as a result, has had to survive my rookie negligence, errors etc. I even let my 5-year-old daughter 'help' with the initial job. Anyhow...

Kit started on 2nd June 2013. Nothing else added. It's 2 large cans. 7 days later I transferred brew to a sealed fermentation barrel, on the advice of my more experienced uncle. (Only to then discover the wealth of online advice suggesting it does little good, and possibly more harm...) 1 full month later I siphoned into a king keg, with about 80g of caster sugar. Worryingly I was unaware of the need to minimise splash/turbulence etc to avoid oxygenating. It cleared more slowly than I'd like (no finings added) probably not in properly cool place.

Anyhow, Cheers :cheers: !
DJA

I brewed this just after Xmas and was my first attempt after a 20 year break. I brewed slightly short to 21ltrs, 0G 1.054, final gravity 1.014...slightly higher than I was hoping for, but fermentation appear to be over after one week and I left it another week before transferring to a King Keg. It was drinkable but cloudy after one week, but after 2 weeks it was clear and the flavours really mellowed out. It's got so much flavour that next time I'd brew to the full 23ltrs. Colour is as per other folks photos...ie deep amber rather than gold. This is my first 2 can kit and I must say I'm very impressed and would recommend it to anyone. :cheers:

Will see if the Bulldog Hammer of Thor I'm fermenting just now ..all destined for bottles... turns out as well.

Also have 32 ltrs short brewed Brewmaker Cider Deluxe conditioning in bottles and a couple of experimental turbo ciders ready for bottling. This forum is really helpful for someone returning to the craft :thumb:

...and after 4 weeks its even better :cheers: .but only about 10 pints left in the keg.....and Wherry kit (plus 500grm enhancer) bubbling in the wings ready to fill the keg when its empty.

As promised (mainly to myself) have brewed this a second time.

Into the FV (back on 22nd Feb 2014!) a little short of the 23 litres recommended, for 12 days, then barrelled with spraymalt and soft brown sugar (about 40-45g each).

After 5 weeks in the barrel it's starting to clear. It's got the strong, popular flavours as other reviews describe, but it didnt need the spraymalt - remains too bitter, though am hoping this will mellow out before too long.

This kit is a reliable and good quality one that simply doesnt need anything but time to reach it's potential. Time's the key with this, though. Truly. Start planning for Christmas :lol:

:cheers:
DJA

Still young and hazy at 10 days kegged, but very nice and hoppy. Very strong grapefruit flavour. This beer is very much like the standard Blonde from my local brew pubs; as good as, if not better.

As I work through the kits, I start to get a much better idea of where my preferences lie. I certainly prefer the more citrus, hoppy, less bitter beers, just like this one. In fact, as I initially worked through the heavier darker ales and now move through into the golden ales, it's almost like every kit I brew becomes my new favourite. This is definately my new favourite, so no change there then.

I just lost a whole (double) batch of Brewferm Triple to oxidisation, so to drink this alongside that, it's just worlds apart. So fresh and fruity and hoppy. In some respect, I'm starting to appreciate the flavour of young beer (bearing in mind that this did pass through secondary for a few weeks, so it's older than the 10 days kegged might have you think). You capture the zest and the hop aroma, and that's what this beer intends to offer, so I think beers like this should be enjoyed relatively young.

I put this on Sunday, as per box instructions. Now it's bubbling away, and trying to blow off the lid of my FV! I'm planning on bottling mine eventually. I'll report back later.

Latest posts

Back