Muntons, Premium Gold Autumn Blush Cider Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphacento

Regular.
Reaction score
I tried this kit a couple of years ago. I have to say that I was not too happy with it. I found the Magnum Cider kit way better in bot quality and price.

I also tried this kit last year and have to say I was disappointed. It seems that the kit contains a large amount of malt. This may be to some people's taste but I found that this made the end result taste like an apple flavoured beer. This was not for me.

This kit only makes 30l which also makes it relatively expensive.

Steve
www.brew.x10.mx

Rich747 said:
Mine's had 3 weeks in the Cornie and tastes, well, ok-ish but VERY cloudy. Nothing special at all.

Mine took forever to clear as well. It did clear eventually, however I am sorry to say that the taste did not really improve much :|

Steveicky said:
Rich747 said:
Mine's had 3 weeks in the Cornie and tastes, well, ok-ish but VERY cloudy. Nothing special at all.

Mine took forever to clear as well. It did clear eventually, however I am sorry to say that the taste did not really improve much :|

I had one of these kits and i have to agree, after 3 months in a cornie it was clear but tasted a bit .. thin even though i brewed it short.

I have 5 cornies and my beer is usually in fairly quick rotation so I didn't really get round to doing anything with it. After a total of 7 or 8 months in the cornie it has really developed. SWMBO loves it, so much so that i have had to put another one on ready for when she runs out :wha:

At the rate she is going through it, and how long it takes to condition, I may have to fill all my cornies with it and stagger age it in steps just her in stock! :evil:

Cider does take a long time to condition, people always see cider as a quick turn around drink but it isn't, even if you don't do the MLF thing it still takes time for the flavours to develop.

But how they can call it cider whith malt in it I do not know :wha: :wha:

This was my first home brew in many years. Bottled and after four weeks still cloudy but tastes ok. Tastes better well chilled. May use Finnings next time to clear :cheers:

For what it is worth Scottie you may want to try a Turbo cider. Basically 4.5 L supermarket 100% apple juice, 1 tsp of tannin, 1 tsp of malic acid, 1 tsp of pectolase and 1 tsp of yeast nutrient and cider yeast or champagne yeast. Let it ferment and mature for as long as possible. Search my name and TC I have written a lot about it over the last few years. :thumb: :thumb:

I just put on a brew of this last night. After reading the reviews, I'm a little worried - especially for how much it cost me. I've put it on to make some mulled cider at Christmas - hopefully I've given it enough time (judging by some of the reviews, possibly not).

I'll be back around Christmas to let you know how it goes.

If it is for the purpose of mulling then you will probably be fine as you will be adding spice and flavour to it. :thumb:

Fingers crossed then. I was hoping to have some of it left over as well, though, as I'm a bit cider fan. Here's hoping.

I sampled this yesterday - just over a month conditioning. It's not particularly pleasant at the moment. It's still cloudy and I'm not sure it's meant to be like that (it is cider after all). It definitely seems to lack body. There are two other issues I'm not sure if I didn't introduce myself - it's very acidic and tastes of pineapple. Any ideas?

Ok, we're another month on and I had another nip yesterday. Clearer than before - still not totally cleared, though. The flavours have mellowed somewhat, but it's still not wonderful. The taste of pineapple chunks is still there :hmm: .

Back