Speidel Braumeister?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glideman

Reaction score
Been looking at a Speidel Braumeister, has anyone on here used one or have any knowledge about the system? It looks very compact which would suit my needs as I don't have much space for a three pot system.

Member swiggingpig posted in July that he had upgraded to this.

Its a system I've been looking at but the price is far too much for me to spend on brew making. However if that was no object I quite like the space saving aspect. All Grain brewing without any hassel. And thats probably its biggest downfall as apart from loading the water and grains all you do is set the computer and then watch it perform.
Lots of demo's of it in action on you tube if you want to see more.

The UK distributor is a company called Vigo Ltd.

http://www.vigoltd.com/

It's basically a RIMS (recirculating infusion mash) system.
There is a better video here.

It does look to be a very neat system though :clap:

I can forsee that wing nut getting dropped into the mash often though :lol:

BrotherMalice said:
is it just a shiney BIAB system?

Well it is more than that but you are not far wrong :cool:

Yes its a sort of single-vessel (BIAB-like) setup combined with a RIMS - in which the recirculation of wort through the grain bed is upwards, meaning gravity helps avoid (rather than adds to) the chances of the grain compacting too much. Its expensive, but probably not that much more than a good stainless 3-vessel setup with march pumps etc. The American and european forums seem to have more people using them, and there are some you-tube vids.

I've been doing some research into them because I'm intending to build something like it, though not a direct clone and with just a normal PID rather than a computer control. I'm hoping the concept will be more streamlined and consistent for my ales and easier than stepping by infusion and decoction mashes for the wheats. Reading various info around the web, it seems to make beer thats up there with 3-vessel systems such as my current setup, so its definately attracted my interest.

Cheers
Kev

No prices though on the Vigo Ltd website, that must mean they aint cheap :)

Glideman said:
No prices though on the Vigo Ltd website, that must mean they aint cheap :)

Yes, they are about 2500 euro :eek:
I shall not therefore be buying one ;)

Kev888 said:
I've been doing some research into them because I'm intending to build something like it, though not a direct clone and with just a normal PID rather than a computer control. I'm hoping the concept will be more streamlined and consistent for my ales and easier than stepping by infusion and decoction mashes for the wheats. Reading various info around the web, it seems to make beer thats up there with 3-vessel systems such as my current setup, so its definately attracted my interest.

I'm intersted in this too for myself Kev. I have been planning to make a HERMS system for years and have quite a few component parts but something like this avoids the need for a thermobox so one less vessel.

It would be easy enough to fit a catering pot on a stand and have the pump below. Not sure how to go about making the inner "grain pipe" but could come up with something. My main concern would be about the heating element - the one in this device is a very large diameter round element and you can see the guy is able to touch it so it is clear that the heating is distributed and therefore unlikely to scortch the wort. If I were to fit a conventional kettle element, it would be localised heating and would have to be near the pump inlet pipe to ensure constant flow to avoid scortching on the element.

I might have to do some calculations to figure out pot sizes :cool:
Keep us posted if you do start construction :thumb:

Well if I did happen to find £2000 in loose change in me trousers that I'd forgotten about, and my circumstances, available space, knowledge etc was the same. I'd have one. I can just see meself on brew day sat in a deckchair with pint in hand beside the brewmeister, occasionally glancing up at the computer.
Waving my neighbours off to work......... :whistle: :whistle:

Glideman said:
Been looking at a Speidel Braumeister, has anyone on here used one or have any knowledge about the system? It looks very compact which would suit my needs as I don't have much space for a three pot system.

Hi, I've just upgraded to a 20L BM. I moved from a 3V system to the BM because of space problems

I don't know if you've seen these vids but they are quite good at showing you just how easy they are to use, clean and store.

http://youtu.be/MRWz4G6tkMU
http://youtu.be/ivCRHvHv8dY

Any questions, please feel free to ask :cheers:

swiggingpig said:
Hi, I've just upgraded to a 20L BM. I moved from a 3V system to the BM because of space problems. I don't know if you've seen these vids but they are quite good at showing you just how easy they are to use, clean and store.
http://youtu.be/MRWz4G6tkMU
http://youtu.be/ivCRHvHv8dY
Any questions, please feel free to ask :cheers:
Nice links, thanks for posting!

I too would love to hear how you get on with it.

Cheers
Kev

I get the feeling there's some " itchy fingers " viewing this thread :D

just checking old trouser pockets....

50 litre unit is available here for ~1200 euro. People here complaint about og limitation and sometimes failing pumps.

I think 1200 euro for a 50Ltr system is quite cheap & a lot less hassle then a three pot system & all the pumps and space it takes up. When you add up all the messing around & bits & pieces it's probably cheaper.

I think 1200 euro for a 50Ltr system is quite cheap & a lot less hassle then a three pot system & all the pumps and space it takes up. When you add up all the messing around & bits & pieces it's probably cheaper.
Sorry, I don't agree but that's what forums are all about, it's certainly not cheap :shock: There's little hassle in a 3 pot system, and pumps can be had cheap as chips, messing around, well that's personal choice.

Ready made systems have their place, as do self builds, it's not about saying one things better than another, they both do the same job, it's the inclination of the person that's the question :thumb:

Latest posts

Back