The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Kit Reviews > Way to Amarillo extract kit review

Old 20-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
darrellm

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default Re: Way to Amarillo extract kit review

Having brewed up quite a few 1 and 2 can kits, I was keen to try to move onto the next stage and ordered one of the Extract kits from BrewUK, Way To Amarillo (http://www.brewuk.co.uk/store/beerkits/brewextract/amarillo-recipe-pack.html), based soley on the number of favourable reviews. The kit comprised of dried malt extract, Amarillo hops and yeast. Have seen comments that these kits are expensive, but they're about the same as a decent 2-can kit, and you get exactly what you need to make the specific brew....plus home brew shops need to make a profit, or else they wouln't be in business and we'd had far less choice.

Anyway, had to get a bigger stock pot off eBay: 15L, you could get away with smaller, as the boil volume is only 6L or so, to which you add cold water. I did the boil then cooled the pan down in a few sinkfuls of cold water, strained it into the FV, and by the time I'd made up the volume with cold water it was a perfect 24C, so ready to pitch the yeast. OG came out around 1052 Here's some pics:

Re-hydrated and pitched the yeast, it was off within 7 hours, and 14 days later it was down to 1010, so half bottled and half kegged it. Had a sneakly sample and it's gorgeous, a really hoppy light-coloured ale, right up my street. They refer to it an American Pale Ale. Now the long wait begins for it to clear and mature a bit.

Although I've been very happy with most of the 2-can kits, IMHO they tend to be malty rather than hoppy, moving to extract gives you the opportunity to make a really hoppy brew. Very happy with this kit already and planning to do others, especially as they do clones of some of the popular pub beers: Theakston Old Peculiar and Exmoor Gold next.

Would encourage kits brewers to give Extract brewing a go, didn't take that much longer than a normal kit brew and the results really do seem to be a step up. Forum sponsor also does Extract kits (http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk/ext ... c-164.html), with these you have to buy the malt extract separately.

Will report back when I have the first proper sample.

Old 20-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
Pearlfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrellm
The kit comprised of dried malt extract, Amarillo hops and yeast. Have seen comments that these kits are expensive, but they're about the same as a decent 2-can kit, and you get exactly what you need to make the specific brew.

Waiting to try my first attempt at extact which will be ready to keg next weekend.

Looking at the ingredients of your kit , the same could be bought from our sponsors to make 2 x 23L batches for about £36 , a saving of almost £7 a brew.

The World's just fallen out of my bottom!

Old 21-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #3
jobby

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

made this 3 weeks ago and now waiting for it to mature in the keg, i also did the london pride extract and its soooo much better than any of the kits ive done, well worth moving on from kits to extract then on to a/g which i have just done.

Old 29-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
darrellm

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

So here it is:

Half bottled, half kegged 10 days ago, and it's cleared already. This is gorgeous: light, hoppy, bags and bags of flavour, no "homebrew" taste whatsoever. I'm sure it'll only get better with age, but at this rate it isn't going to last long. Only criticism is strength, I wouldn't normally drink a 6% beer that often but this is so moorish Of 16 brews so far, this equal no.1 (along with the Pops Homebrew / Foresters range of kits), and confirmation that Extract brewing really is a step up in terms of quality (although I still consider Wherry and a few others very fine kits).

May have to follow Pearlfishers advice and get the raw ingredients next time at £7 a brew cheaper, definately one to brew again. Awaiting arrivel of BrewUK's Old Peculiar clone, so we'll see how that turns out

Old 27-04-2014, 09:39 AM   #5
woosiep

Again, chose this due to all the reviews on the Brew site as my first extract brew. Its basically 3kg of light extract , a yeast sachet and some Amarillo hops. one of the attractive aspects is that a smallish (10l) pan is deemed sufficent for this brew.

Never worked with DME before so not used to just how sticky and horrible it becomes when even the slightest bit wet! The boil when fine though, it dissolved really easily, I halved the qty of amarillo and used 50% Citra as well that I had in the freezer.
Used cheap mineral water for the whole brewing volume and it didnt need much cooling to get to 24 degrees for pitching.
Fermentation was quick if not exactly ferocious and took about a week to get to 1010. I dry hopped for a few days (again with citra/amarillo) It tasted great straight out of the FV

Bottled into 500ml glass beer bottles after 14 days. Used 2x carb drops as I believe this style should be quite lively. Tested after a week in the warm and its FANTASTIC

A genuine hoppy aroma, great mouthfeel and that true american IPA/Punk flavour. It was as clear as a bell too. Will leave another week in the warm and then somewhere cool. I cant recommend this enough

Old 09-07-2014, 11:23 AM   #6
the_kitchen_brewer

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Great kit and although the DME has obviously been processed, there's something very satisfying about starting with dry ingredients to make your beer!

For any other beginners out there another thing to be careful with the DME is that if it boils over it can make a real mess of your cooker that takes hours to get off (guess how I know!)

But as others have said, dead easy to make and tastes delicious. I do prefer their Old Speckled Hen clone though (which IMHO tastes better than the real stuff!)