Glycerin

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadow47

Regular.
Reaction score
I've just bought some Glycerin from the Chemist, £1.30 for 100ml, Active ingredient: Glycerin BP 100% v/v (E422).

What I want to know is, is this the same as stuff as the Glycerine they sell in homebrew shops, and do I use the same quantity in my recipes as I would if I'd have bought the £3.80 version from a homebrew shop?

Why do homebrew suppliers call it Glycerine when everywhere else it's called Glycerin?

Wurzels Orange wine says add a teaspoon but on the homebrew bottle of Glycerine it recommends putting 25ml in, does a teaspoon really make that much difference? Does it just increase the body of the wine? How many people use it? Do they ever put it in commercial wines?

I think I asked too many questions here, I'm expecting someone to post a link to google haha.

:cheers:

As far as I'm aware it's all the same stuff, whether it's got an ‘e’ or not.

I keep meaning to get some from the chemist as 69p for a tiny 38ml bottle from Tesco's home baking section seems a bit steep.

One 5ml teaspoonful to the gallon seems to make a good difference. Unless the stuff from the HBS is diluted I'd have thought that 25ml would be rather cloying.

I have no answer as far as commercial wines are concerned.

I`ve never used it before, except for now in my first batch of wurzels orange brew. So time will tell, my brew is only 1 week in but just about fermented out. I think the only way of telling, is to make 2 batches of wurzels brew, 1 with glycerine & 1 without. Then only you can be the judge. Well thats what i am going to try anyway! Any excuse to make another gallon!!

Yeah, I don't know why they charge so much in homebrew shops when you can get the same product for a third of the price from the chemist.

Ok, I'll just stick a teaspoon in at a time until I get the right consitency, does it mix into the wine easily or does it require a lot of shaking etc?

hong - I'm planning on taking out a litre or so of my wine and experimenting with it, comparing the one with glycerin and without, should be fun :D.

shadow47 said:
Why do homebrew suppliers call it Glycerine when everywhere else it's called Glycerin? :cheers:
It is exactly the same stuff just a different spelling, maybe the HB shops call it something different to help justify the exuberant amount they charge for it!

As for 25ml in a gallon that would be far to much IMO and I have never used more than 5ml but you will be the best judge as to how much suits you ;)

hi guys what does glycerine actually do ? I am a total noob and just doing turbos at the min my first one was rough but drinkable .

Use Glycerine in your wine to give it more body. Glycerine increases the wines mouth-feel giving it a fuller, more pleasant texture.

Latest posts

Back