Wilko's Dark Velvet Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyan

Reaction score
Morning all,

I racked up my first brew last night (the Wilko's Hoppy Copper Bitter) and after cleaning out the FV I thought it'd be a shame to leave it empty (plus I'd bought a second one earlier in the day) so I cracked open the stout kit and got on with it.

I slightly under filled it to 21 litres instead of the 23 it recommends with a hydrometer reading of 1042. Cracked in the yeast at about 25 / 26 degrees and sealed it up tight. As my house is cold as hell I again wrapped up the FV to keep the chill off.

I checked it this morning to find it happily bubbling away through the airlock. I checked the temp before leaving for work to see it around 23 / 24. I've eased off the blanket around it to cool off a little so hopefully it should level out at the 20 ish area. That or I'll have a kitchen full of foam when I get home from work :D

Anyways, second kit underway with the first prepping in the pressure keg. I now want to go out and buy more stuff as having two on the go just isn't enough.

DAMN YOU HOME BREWING! I love it really and would defiantly say I've caught the bug.

flyan said:
Morning all,

I racked up my first brew last night (the Wilko's Hoppy Copper Bitter) and after cleaning out the FV I thought it'd be a shame to leave it empty (plus I'd bought a second one earlier in the day) so I cracked open the stout kit and got on with it.

I slightly under filled it to 21 litres instead of the 23 it recommends with a hydrometer reading of 1042. Cracked in the yeast at about 25 / 26 degrees and sealed it up tight. As my house is cold as hell I again wrapped up the FV to keep the chill off.

I checked it this morning to find it happily bubbling away through the airlock. I checked the temp before leaving for work to see it around 23 / 24. I've eased off the blanket around it to cool off a little so hopefully it should level out at the 20 ish area. That or I'll have a kitchen full of foam when I get home from work :D

Anyways, second kit underway with the first prepping in the pressure keg. I now want to go out and buy more stuff as having two on the go just isn't enough.

DAMN YOU HOME BREWING! I love it really and would defiantly say I've caught the bug.
Keep us posted, i think i will try either this one or the coopers stout later on in the year. :cheers:

Looks like I posted in the wrong place this morning in my no-coffee haze.

Sorry about that.

I just wondered how it went?
I used to be a bid fan of Edme stout but have been wanting to try a wilko's or a coopers. Was hopining you could make that that decision for me... :wha:

Put one of these on this morning.
500g muscovado sugar
660g black treacle
250g extra dark DME.
2 tsp yeast nutrient.
OG 1045 brewed to 22L.
Pitched yeast at 20c.
Bottling for the autumn (I can't even begin to tell you how optimistic that is!!!) :thumb:

i started mine this morning with a few tweaks sg 1.042 so im happy. it has already started popping the cap of my DJ

This kit has rested at 1006, so was bottled this morning.
Primed 18 x 750ml bottles with 10ml of maple syrup and the remaining 7 with 1 x tspn of granulated sugar.
The bold aim is to put these away until the autumn.

Kinleycat said:
Primed 18 x 750ml bottles with 10ml of maple syrup and the remaining 7 with 1 x tspn of granulated sugar.

what did it taste like at bottling? did you let it clear i know its a stout. i bet it dont last if you start on it

iceo said:
Kinleycat said:

what did it taste like at bottling? did you let it clear i know its a stout. i bet it dont last if you start on it
Very nice, as good at this stage as the Coopers stout I did in late December early January.
It will be interesting to see what difference the maple syrup and some time does for the end result.

i bottled mine today, its got a strong liquorice flavour that i dont mind. will see what its like in a few weeks. primed it with a caramel coffee syrup

iceo said:
i bottled mine today, its got a strong liquorice flavour that i dont mind. will see what its like in a few weeks. primed it with a caramel coffee syrup

I did the Coopers Stout and this had a liquorice flavour after 2 weeks. It's been in the bottle for 3 months now and this has gone. Tastes very much like the import 7% Guinness now.

GJB said:
iceo said:

I did the Coopers Stout and this had a liquorice flavour after 2 weeks. It's been in the bottle for 3 months now and this has gone. Tastes very much like the import 7% Guinness now.

thats great. iv just put another one on with coffee grounds in so will see that thats like

iv got half a bottle of wisnia would it work in the stout? would the flavour be there?

Made mine with small tin of black treacle and chocolate powder with 600g of brewing sugar. Came out at 4%. Very drinkable.

Sorry for the huge delay in replying. The first batch came out sour for me though everyone I gave it to loved it. On my second batch now. Two weeks in the FV with a 1kg bag of brewing sugar. Tried my first taster at two weeks and it's going down a treat though every extract home brew I've tried seems to have an after taste which I can't get out through brewing. Any advice?

Cheers all.

Quick update - three bottles in and it's lovely. Need to hold off and not drink the rest now.

I've just done one of these at 20 litres, with 500g of muscovado sugar, a 454g tin of black treacle and 350g of brewing sugar. The OG was 1047. After three days in this weather, it was down to 1011. I left it three days longer and it was still at 1011, so I bottled it. Even in its callow, unconditioned state, it was a bit special, and I can't wait to see how it develops and matures.

I've tried to leave as much of this un-drunk as possible but it's getting the better of me. After two weeks in the bottle it was very drinkable but had a little HB twang to it. At week four the twang has lessened and the flavours are coming through nicely. At week six or seven now(?) it's a belter. The twang is all but gone and it's a deep smooth stout. I'll be using this again in the future, probably as a base to try different things out. Planning a cranberry stout for Christmas using two cans and a few other choice ingredients.

Latest posts

Back