Homebrew is bad for your house!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wez

Landlord.
Reaction score
After a conversation with Frisp today, I got thinking about how many of us have damaged our houses through homebrewing?

The worst thing I've done is when I didn't realise what CRS would do to our kitchen worktop :shock: I put the bottle down, which was wet with CRS and also the teaspoon which i'd used to measure it out onto our black worktop...there are now 2 or 3 white patches on the worktop, one is the identical size of the base of a CRS bottle :oops: not too bad I guess, but i'd like to hear what you guys have managed to ruin in persuit of the perfect pint :lol:

I have had some of the minor " Faux Pas" in the temporay brewing area ( Kitchen) but the tale which prompted Wez's post above is a case of the logic being sound but the execution being flawed.
AG#1 and #2 had me boiling the wort in my plastic boiler (now spare cause I got a monster shiney gorgeous one - he said with some thanks) on top of a wooden board up on the worktop. As the water supply for My IC necessitated lifting 5 Gallons of Boiling Wort onto the floor and dragging it some 20 feet, I looked at the problem form a safety perspective. While the 20 foot drag was unavoidable did I have to lift it down off the worksurface? No
:idea: Place a thick layer of Cardboard below the boiler on the floor :idea:
What I didnt allow for was the open tap issue which allowed the cardboard to get wet, very very wet :!: :!:

She went Feckin completley Radio Rental..... Well ,how was I to know it would leave a big grey boil mark on the Vinyl.......

You know women can be downright unreasonable at times :whistle:
slight change of attitude when I fought back by bringing up the dinks on her car........ Now I know I shouldnt have said it ... But I did and its my own Fault.... I should have just taken the **** for the burn on the Vynil....... I now accept that there is nothing wrong with her driving and that the dinks have nothing to do with her !!!!! And yes she can have the floorcovering of her choice including the bag and shoes to match :hmm:

:clap: :clap: I bet you feel better for getting that off your chest :thumb: :lol:

Bad for the house? Ours is still standing but, the marriage gets a little shaky at times. Not least that burnt foot episode.

Serves me right really, Lady Buzz was off work feeling really shitty and stayed in bed. Trouble was, I had already planned a brewday for the day in question - she hates the smell of malt and hops and said it wouldn’t help her recovery if I decided to brew. Erm, wife or brew?...
You guessed it, brew came first and I carried on as normal. I was so engrossed in the brew I actually forgot about her and failed even to take her up a glass of water or any TLC for that matter. Makes me feel really bad thinking about it now.

I was to get my comeuppance though. As I got to the chilling process, the IC was primed and I turned on the water failing to realise the outlet hose was on the kitchen floor. As the scolding water came through, the pipe snaked and chucked the water over my foot. Jeez, the first lot was hot and, as I peeled back my sock, I was shocked to find my skin coming away with it. :shock:

Unable to walk, I went on my knees up to the bathroom to get a shower of cold water on it. There I was, foot scalded and blistered, whilst my other half was tucked up in bed with a runny tummy, unable to drive. In the end she got up and phoned a paramedic who took me to hospital with second degree burns.

The wife left her death bed to deal with the flooded kitchen floor and, as I left, my parting words were, ‘don’t touch the brew’.

Jeez, that was one hell of a day. I had dressings on my foot for an age, couldn’t drive and even the beer ended up with an infection.

Me and Lady Buzz have made up since and laugh about it now but, I think the moral of the story is, make sure you love your other half as much as you love your beer. Otherwise the only thing brewing will be trouble…

I know some of you will have seen this, but here is a reminder...
PICT1498.jpg

Two weeks after my burn and just escaped skin graft surgery mainly because to much time had passed

Picture97-2.jpg

Ouch x2! :shock: :shock:

Hope you guys aren't scarred!

Jeez O, that's a serious flesh wound. Puts mine to shame :grin: I can sympathise with what the pain must have been like. :eek:

steve_flack said:
Frisp said:
- Health and safety note-
Never brew without Wellies?
After I saw those pics the first time I always do. Also, as my brewery is a bit of a wetroom, it keeps my feet dry and stops me slipping and falling a over t.

I wore mine today and will write them into the method statement :!:

Seriously this has spooked me. of my 4 Ag's so far 3 the first 3 were barefoot and I was ****** during all...

Lets get back to the tales of destruction and mayhem around the house. I cant be the only one who has hacked off the wife

If wearing wellies, wear trouser OVER them, the last thing you want is hot water / wort trapped in the welly!

Tripped the electrics last night doing a porter, took the plug for the boiler round to another socket, and bent the terminal on the element so the neutral and earth contacted.

OH didn't notice, therefore it didn't happen obviously.

Seriously this has spooked me. of my 4 Ag's so far 3 the first 3 were barefoot and I was ****** during all...

Lets get back to the tales of destruction and mayhem around the house. I cant be the only one who has hacked off the wife

I misread that and thought you said cant be the only one that's hacked up my wife.:twisted:

Flippin heck you lot are a right bunch of Frank Spencers !No disasters for me....yet....

Keep safe!

Cheers

Clint
Haha oooh Betty 😂

No such disasters for me either (yet)... 😮

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

This thread was dug up from the past :shock:

Until Spoon posted Michael Jackson was still alive when the last post on here was made

Latest posts

Back