Kwak (Quack)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had kwak, it comes in cool mini yard glasses. I wasn't aware of it being a banana beer (I couldn't open the link). I think what I had is more of a Belgian Dubble but a lot of fruity esters come from Belgian ale yeasts, I've used WY high gravity Trappist yeast a couple of times, you definetley get some banana notes. Apparently under pitching and high ferment temps increase ester production.

2y6uhyvy.jpg

Here we go, found a photo of when we went out in The Hauge, great bar that sold all kind of Belgian ales. Here's the wacky Kwak glass:
aba9u6yv.jpg

Yeah we got that glass too! Apparently it was served back in the good ol' days to horse drawn cart drivers and they used that kind of holder, much like a cup holder.

This will be my first AG brew - any recommendations on what base recipe I could use for this? I have taken note of the yeast type mentioned.

Cheers for the replies so far! :thumb:

Very interested in this - Kwak was one of my favourites from holidays in Brugges. I'd love to produce something similar...

calumscott said:
Very interested in this - Kwak was one of my favourites from holidays in Brugges. I'd love to produce something similar...

It's not just me then! It was a fantastic drink. I seen it in Peckhams a few weeks back and went to buy some this weekend but it was nowhere to be seen. :(

It is a good beer. The glass though was only introduced in the 80s as far as I am aware. That said, I do like a novel glass.

So I'm at least wanting to do a Belgian Dubbel this weekend, it being my first mash beer. I will find a clone of Kwak in good time but can someone recommend a good Dubbel recipe? It's a bit hard to search on the database here for beer styles...

Found this > http://beerrecipes.org/showrecipe.php?recipeid=739

As usual it's American measurements and doesn't have proper instructions (like mash time, etc) - I would trust something from this forum as "tried-and-tested". Looking for a 4 gallon recipe.

Cheers!
Dan

Made this on Saturday and it's bubbling away in the fermenter - will be a few weeks for this as it was recorded at 1.064, looking forward too it though! (Admittedly I deviated a wee bit from the recipe, adding slightly more grain than the recipe stated, will be darker)

Bottled this last night, tasted the wort and oh me I'm chuffed with how it's turned out. I got a few bottles of Kwak from my Dad this week and it tastes very similar, a few weeks and I'll be cracking open a bottle. :cheers:

What did your ABV end up as in the end? How much carbonation are you going for?

Asalpaws said:
What did your ABV end up as in the end? How much carbonation are you going for?

My ABV was definitely not as high as expected (OG 1.064 > FG 1.015 - ABV 6.5% (roughly)) but this was my first AG and was a test so I will refine a few things on my next brew. I got about 13L of bottling wort and added 80g of sugar to this, not entirely sure of the carbonation this will give (it was what BeerSmith told me) but I'm wanting a bit of fizz but we shall see.

Sounds like a good job to me, assuming a 20 degree ferment my calculator gets that to 2.5 Vol of CO2. Should be fizzy. T

Latest posts

Back