Brewferm Triple

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olivercollings

Reaction score
Hi All,

As a fan of Belgian ales on the whole I decided to give this one a go. I have already got the Brewferm Abbey conditioning ready for next winter. This one I am hoping will give me a nice blonde equivalent for good measure.

Tonight I will be brewing this with 500 grams of medium spray malt and the usual Ashbeck mineral water from Tesco that I have always found to give good results.

I am going to re hydrate the yeast with this kit, although not always necessary I want to really get this one off the mark well. Instead of individually priming the bottles as I did with the Abbey beer I will be be batch priming with golden syrup. Once I have brewed this tonight I shall update with the OG and photo's this time to try and give you all the best idea of how this one works out along the way.

I am also taking tips on what to brew next in the vein of Belgian beers so if there is one here that hasn't been reviewed that you would like to see done I am willing to be a guinea pig for experimentation.

Ollie

Have just bottled this one about a week before you - I brewed it with the candi sugar recommended. Looked lovely when bottling - with a great amber colour! Looking forward to it as a winter warmer along with the Abbey beer I have on the attic for the last two months :thumb:

Edit: I also moved it to a second FV for secondary clarification before batch priming and bottling

Sorry for the slow update!

I have been busy with work and haven't had time to do much.

Right, well I brewed this last week and I have to say it went pretty much to plan. I brewed to the plan above and I had no problems. The only thing I did differently was that I didn't re hydrate the yeast as I was being lazy to be honest. Anyway here are the photo's I took from the night I brewed it...

Wort from the can.
Triple%201.JPG

Triple%202.JPG

After the first stir.
Triple%203.JPG

Water and medium spray malt added and stirred thoroughly.
Triple%204.JPG

Yeast Added.
Triple%206.JPG

Its been in the FV about a week now and although it is fermenting it didn't go off as well as I had hoped it only had a 3 inch thick kraussen which subsided fairly quickly. Either way I shall be leaving it here for another week at least before racking and secondary fermenting with golden syrup.

Hope this is of some interest to someone :)

Bottled mine into Coopers PET plastic 500ml bottles. FV was down at 1012 which gave an ABV of 8.4% which I thought pretty astounding. Fermenting took 12 days and it was pretty cloudy when it was finished. Didn't have a second FV to rack into for clearing and to be honest it wouldn't have made much difference as it was still pretty cloudy when I sampled it 2weeks ago. Mind it was lovely. That was after 3 weeks as I couldn't wait the 5-6 weeks hey recommend.

It's now starting to clear and I'm waiting to really get into it.

Overall a delicious, strong, fruity and light Belgian beer that's well worth waiting for. If anyone has ideas on how to improve it I would like to hear them. Similarly any other similar ones to have a go at please recommend away!

I've always found that the Brewferm kits are pretty reliable and produce a very good beer for a one can kit.

My two real successes have been the Tarwebier and the Diabolo, both of which produced a beer that was of good alcohol content, relatively clear, with good flavours and which largely lacked the "homebrew" taste. Even non drinkers of Belgian beer have commented favourably; not that I give too many away...

So, Ollie, what's the verdict on your brew?

I am just about to start one of these along with a Grand Cru.
I notice some of you are priming with Golden Syrup. How much are you using for the 9l brew?
Also has anyone used the candi sugar crystals before. I assume you just melt then into the amount of boiling water it says..

I made one of these myself in May and have been working my way very slowly through it. It's delicious - smooth and subtle, a beautiful copper colour and it doesn't taste like it's 8.2%. You only find that out afterwards...! :drunk:
I wanted to check with those that have made this - is it particularly susceptible to chill haze? Mine cleared up nicely, but is now pouring cloudy from the fridge. Took a while for me to make the connection, but I think this is chill haze. Any thoughts?

Hi guys, i have one of these in the fermenter at the moment, had a SG of 1079 a week ago and its now down to 1016. Think it will drop a bit more yet then i will bottle it. used 650G of golden syrup, tastes good.

Update.

This has been bottled for ages now. It's been so hard to keep my hands off it. Clear as a bell and tastes very similar to Leffe. Saving the rest until Christmas.

ypa8a9e8.jpg

This is a bottle I've just opened and it's absolutely spot on. We'll worth the wait.
Let's hope I can save most of them until Christmas.

olivercollings said:
ypa8a9e8.jpg

This is a bottle I've just opened and it's absolutely spot on. We'll worth the wait.
Let's hope I can save most of them until Christmas.

That looks like a good one, hope mine turns out like that has. :cheers:

A question about Brewferm kits: are most of you using a normal size FV (25 or 30 litre)? Am going to pick a couple of kits up next week but am thinking I might pick up a 15 litre FV while I'm there. Any advantage to this, other than extra brewing capacity?

just opened one of these and its only been bottled for a couple of weeks max and it tastes great! going to leave it alone now for a little longer.

Hi im confused , just about to start brewing one of these my but where does it say you add golden syrup? :?

thepieman7 said:
Hi im confused , just about to start brewing one of these my but where does it say you add golden syrup? :?

It doesn't! It mentions candy sugar near the end of the instructions. Golden syrup is another option, useful because it is partially inverted and those inverted sugars are easier for the yeast to get into (in such a high OG beer). I haven't used candy sugar, but I believe Golden Syrup is considered to be a reasonable alternative. Allow a bit extra over table sugar because (IIRC) it is about 20% water.

That said, I know the best tripel I've tasted only had tate&lyle in it, so that's what I've put in my Brewferm Tripel. I used syrup in the Abdij and the Kriek, to good effect.

This will be racked off today as after 2 weeks primary has finished. However when sampling I am getting quite a bitter acrid finish to it, unlike anything I have brewed before.

I brewed with golden syrup. Temp was never excessive. I will carry on with it and hope for the best.

Edited 3rd November: I bottled a week ago and although mid way through conditioning this has improved a lot. The harsh edge to the finish has gone and it is mellowing into a great tasting malty beer. I was too early with my assessment in October.

What type of yeast does this kit come with?
I'd like to have a go at one but I don't have the kit for a chilled fermentation
Thanks
Mark

The yeast that comes along with the kit ferments best in the 18-22 degrees range.

I have done a Brewferm Diablo & a Brewferm Framboise.
I leave mine for 12 months before I drink them.
Well worth the wait..........
Just set a Brewferm Grand Cru going last night
& have a Brewferm Pils waiting to go.

This is my first kit after what has probably been more than 10 years' absence from the hobby.

Being a newbie and not knowing any better, I followed the instructions pretty much to the letter. I used bottled water (5L bottles from supermarket) and brewing sugar.
The FV was placed in one of the back rooms and and old duvet placed around it. I kept an eye on the temperature and it remained pretty much constant at 22 deg. Within 24 hours the brew was bubbling away with quite some pace. This died off fairly quickly within 3 days and then just trickled along until the end of the 10 days quoted in the instructions. I left it a couple more days before racking it off to a second FV as per the instructions. I took a sample and found the gravity was 1.010. Right on the money, again according to the instructions.
And that is where I am so far. I shall leave it there a couple of weeks before bottling. The brew smelt lovely and gave the impression that it had plenty of potential. I took a tiny sip from the sample jar and it certainly has some alcohol in it.

As the kit makes 10 litres and I am using 25 litre brewing vessels,I shall probably prime in the bottle rather than moving the liquid to another vessel to batch prime. My reasoning is that every time the liquid gets syphoned off, some of it gets left behind, which when you only start with 10 litres is a significant amount.

Latest posts

Back