Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Kits & Brewing Equipment Reviews. > Re: Wilko's Delicate Pilsner

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 17-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #11
MadrikXIV

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Re: Wilko's Delicate Pilsner

Got one of these almost finished.

Started a week ago, 1kg Brewing sugar, 500g Light malt extract, brewed short to around 19 litres.

Smells fantastic, and very little life, so looks like time to shift it to a higher place to make sure it all settles so as to transfer and batch prime it first, got some 1ltr pets, smells fantastic at the moment.

Readings would have it around and just above 5.2%, so stella style

Total Brewed 2013:
Too much to be healthy

Old 20-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #12
redhousebrewing

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

At 4 weeks conditioning I thought this was worth a try - nice and clear, carbonation ok and some head - I would do this again but maybe up the priming sugar from 85g next time (I'm assuming that will help with fizz and head). Taste is good and will be very happy drinking and offering this round
Stuart

Barrel: Festival Golden Stag
Bottles: Razorback IPA, Wilko Pilsner with S-23 & Saaz hops, Wherry with citra hops, Ultimate Brewery Classics Czech Pils Beer Kit, Santa's Sleigh Ride, Wilko Pilsner
Beer brewed: 2013:80gal; 2014:55 gal

Old 21-05-2013, 10:01 AM   #13
JohnSteed

I was looking at this for my second brew after a long absense. I've read a few reviews about the Wilcko kits, are they all good?

FV1: Wilko Golden Ale with honey
FV2: Empty (but got a Hoppy Copper)
Keg1: Wilko Golden Ale (conditioning)
Keg2: Samson's West Country Cider
Bottles: Wilko Ceveza, Last of the Wherry
DJ's: WOW, Solomon Grundy Bilberry
Bottled: Wilko Strawberry, Wilko Black Cherry, Youngs Apricot, Better Brew Pinot Grigio

Old 21-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #14
MadrikXIV

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Bottled mine Sunday.
Even flat and warm it tasted rather nice.

Finished at 1.008 so around 5.4% in the end
Transferred it into my second bucket with just under 90g of disolved sugar (I couldnt be bothered to remove any from the jug when I over poured)
It's currently sat in my warm water bath nad will be going into the cellar tomorrow
fair bit of haze at present, but can see about a centimetre of daylight at the top at so far, and some small bubbles

Total Brewed 2013:
Too much to be healthy

Old 21-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #15
BicesterTerrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadrikXIV
Bottled mine Sunday.
Even flat and warm it tasted rather nice.

Finished at 1.008 so around 5.4% in the end
Transferred it into my second bucket with just under 90g of disolved sugar (I couldnt be bothered to remove any from the jug when I over poured)
It's currently sat in my warm water bath nad will be going into the cellar tomorrow
fair bit of haze at present, but can see about a centimetre of daylight at the top at so far, and some small bubbles
I was amazed how quickly this cleared. Even though I used finings in the FV it bottled quite cloudy even after 5 days restgin after finings addition. Once in the bottle it was starting to clear overnight, perhaps 1cm of clear liquid in the 1st 24hrs. Now after 10 days in the shower it is in the garage. Any ideas on how long this needs to mature before drinking - also will chilling it down create a haze? Or does it stay clear?

** Reason it was in the shower was that I went on holiday for 1 week and after adding a little more priming sugar than I meant to was concerned it might get lively.

Old 21-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #16
redhousebrewing

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicesterTerrier
I was amazed how quickly this cleared. Even though I used finings in the FV it bottled quite cloudy even after 5 days restgin after finings addition. Once in the bottle it was starting to clear overnight, perhaps 1cm of clear liquid in the 1st 24hrs. Now after 10 days in the shower it is in the garage. Any ideas on how long this needs to mature before drinking - also will chilling it down create a haze? Or does it stay clear?

** Reason it was in the shower was that I went on holiday for 1 week and after adding a little more priming sugar than I meant to was concerned it might get lively.
I found a calculator that suggested at least 4 weeks conditioning based on my batch's SG/FG.
I primed with the 85g they recommend - I think I'll be trying a bit more next time so your over-priming sounds good!

Stuart
Bottles: Razorback IPA, Wilko Pilsner with S-23 & Saaz hops, Wherry with citra hops, Ultimate Brewery Classics Czech Pils Beer Kit, Santa's Sleigh Ride, Wilko Pilsner

Old 27-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #17
MadrikXIV

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Mines been sat on the cellar floor for a week, from looking like apple juice when I bottled it, its cleared a lot in the last day or 3, almost perfect and I didn't use any finings.

Tried the half filled bottle, although not much fizz at the moment after a week, it tasted good, fingers crossed it carbs up a bit as the bottles are fairly solid at the moment

Total Brewed 2013:
Too much to be healthy

Old 31-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #18
redhousebrewing

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

About half way through drinking this batch and brewed to 21 litres with the extra 500g of beer enhancer its pretty good (certainly for the money).
Will probably try a different lager next just to be able to compare (and Wilkos have stopped doing the free brewing sugar with their kits).

Stuart

Old 03-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #19
BicesterTerrier

Tried a bottle of this yesterday. Bottled on 9th May, so still a bit to go yet.

First thing, not very fizzy, although once in a decent glass I got a bit of fizz from it.

Second thing, chilled it down in a bucket of ice, and it came out hazy.

I used finings before bottling, could the yeasties have settled out too much and therefore not enough left to carbonate?

As for the haze, is this through not leaving it long enough post finings addition? It was a little hazy when it went in the bottle. Will this haze production go with further conditioning, do I need to find somewhere extra cool for it?

Taste wise, I must say I was very please, lovely flavour. Better than the Carlsberg I had after it.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #20
duotwr

Hi,

I picked up this kit in the Wilko sale, and when i was there also grabbed a couple of bags of muntons beer enhancer. Was planning to use one of these in the pilsner kit but wouldn't mind the end product being a bit stronger than the advertised 4%. Can i add some more fermentables? And if so what would you recommend?

Ta

keith