Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Kits & Brewing Equipment Reviews. > Re: Wilko's Delicate Pilsner

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #21
JKaranka

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Re: Wilko's Delicate Pilsner

You could add more enhancer but you might be running out of hops in the original kit to keep the balance of bitterness. You could boil two or three litres of water with hops and the enhancer for fifteen minutes and add this to the kit of beginning.

Old 13-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #22
MadrikXIV

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duotwr
Hi,

I picked up this kit in the Wilko sale, and when i was there also grabbed a couple of bags of muntons beer enhancer. Was planning to use one of these in the pilsner kit but wouldn't mind the end product being a bit stronger than the advertised 4%. Can i add some more fermentables? And if so what would you recommend?

Ta

keith
Only top your bucket up to around the 20litre mark, mine came out to around 5-5.5% and got a thumbs up during movie night by some mates, all I used was 1kg sugar and 500g Light malt.

Took 2 weeks to carbonate properly, but certainly hits the spot, came out fairly amber, looks a lot darker in the sunshine in the garden....

Total Brewed 2013:
Too much to be healthy

Old 28-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #23
mikeloretta

bottled mine about 2 weeks ago reading 5.6% used half and half of sugar and light malt cleared very quickly but does go hazy when in the fridge, have sampled one or two and its already very drinkable just a bit off putting being hazy will this go with time as i imagine it will get better over the next 3 weeks or so while i drink my wherry!

Old 30-06-2013, 09:09 AM   #24
moleyman

have had three of these now that i brought on a whim when they had free brewing sugar, very nice but i reckon about 110g of sugar for priming (i added 200ml of rasberry syrup to the last batch (138g of sugar) and waiting for that to condition but its clear and i had half a bottle in a flip top bottle that i tried last night and that tasted lovley (even after a week), nice and clear if poured properly

brought another 4 kits with sugar when on half price a few weeks ago so im sorted till christmas

Old 30-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #25
redhousebrewing

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I put a 2nd one of these on, this time with 1.2kg Beer Enhancer, 500g brewing sugar brewed to a full 23litres and dry hopped with saaz - worked out around 5.6% ABV. Just carbonating at the moment so end of July for first taste.
Barrel: Festival Golden Stag
Bottles: Razorback IPA, Wilko Pilsner with S-23 & Saaz hops, Wherry with citra hops, Ultimate Brewery Classics Czech Pils Beer Kit, Santa's Sleigh Ride, Wilko Pilsner
Beer brewed: 2013:80gal; 2014:55 gal

Old 24-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #26
Remf

I am drinking this at the moment,but I find that it lacks the taste of a coopers kit. although it is well worth the money I paid for it,as I got it in the wilko sale for a fiver.

Alan
Coopers European Lager bottled 19/06/2013
Woodfordes Wherry bottled 02/10/2013
Milestone Dark Galleon Bottled 27/10/2014

Old 02-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #27
newlifehomebrew2013

hi everyone I am new to site I have been brewing this wilko's delicate pilsner for approx. 26/07/2013 and it is still bubbling does anyone know how long first fermentation take on this and I brewed beer years ago and just got back into it

Old 09-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #28
itbrvilla

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Did everyone use the standard ale yeast supplied with this kit or change it for a lager yest? How did it cope with the higher temperatures?

I am thinking of doing some lagers during the winter in the conservatory (too hot in summer, too cold in winter ).

Old 26-10-2013, 07:04 AM   #29
Bowl sprayer

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Hi itbrvilla.

I am brewing one at the moment having ditched the ale yeast that it comes with in preference to Youngs lager yeast. It is my first attempt using a true lager yeast and I set it off in the garage just when I thought the weather had turned for winter. As a result it may have been a bit warm on some days.

It was pitched 29th September and it has been brewing steadily ever since! A month on and the airlock is still bubbling, will it ever stop?!

I have brewed short to 20 litres with dextrose. I am waiting for the point where I can rack it off and leave it. It won't be a particularly scientific experiment but I will post a report on the outcome.

The reason I chose to brew with a lager yeast is that I had brewed a Coopers lager with the standard ale yeast which comes with the it; the result was light ale. Pale colored beer, not lager. I feel a bit cheated when I have one. It looks like lager but when you sink your teeth in it isn't, it is definitely ale!

It will be interesting to see what difference to the flavour using lager yeast makes.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #30
Myv8growler

I have just bottled 39 x 500ml bottles from my fv.
Did it as per instructions.
Smells lovely as I spilt it all over the floor!!!
I'll give it a couple of weeks then see what it's like.
I've used golden caster sugar as the second ferment.
I will report soon.