Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Wine, Cider & Other Home Brewing Talk > Wine & Cider Kit Reviews > Beaverdale Pinot Grigio

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 25-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
bobsbeer

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Beaverdale Pinot Grigio

Old 31-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
darrellm

Liked 475 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default Re: Beaverdale Pinot Grigio

This was a real surprise - in a good way.

I've been home brewing beer for several years but was not convinced you could make a good home-made wine, despite the lady in the LHBS telling me otherwise. I was wrong. Made up this 6 bottle kit in a demijohn I had lying around, followed the instructions - it looked a bit like milk to start with but suddenly started clearing at the end of the fermentation. I've drank 2 of the 6 bottles so far and it's as it says on the tin, a Pinot Grigiot - I'm no wine expert but it's very palatable and tastes good according to a few who've tried it. And for around £2 a bottle.

Definately recommended, I shall be doing more of these, and the 6 bottle version works for me because it takes up less space, and we're not massive wine drinkers anyway.

Just done one of their reds too (Barolo) which is equally as nice, but maybe still a bit "young" (very fruity) - but not bad by any means. Plan to leave a few bottles of each to age a good few months.
shedbrewer Likes This 
Old 31-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
wardy86

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am also making my first wine kits and opted for the Beaverdale Pinot Grigio and Beaverdale Merlot 6 bottle. The Pinot should be ready for bottling Sunday and will probably drink a bottle straight away as the sample I tasted during racking was very promising. If these are going to be as good as I think they are I will have to have a go at the 30 bottle kits.
DJ1: Empty
DJ2: Empty
DJ3: Empty

Conditioning:

Drinking:

Planning: Wilko Golden Ale, Wilko Elderflower Wine

Old 08-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #4
wardy86

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just want to add to my previous post. Had this kit bottled for a week and already 3 bottles gone. Beautiful floral aroma, with a fruity crisp dry finish. Even though its young I have enjoyed this more than the cheap supermarket Pinot Grigios and works out cheaper. This kit seems to go milky at the start so do not be concerned as it starts to clear at the end of the fermentation. Would like to leave a couple of bottles to mature but I know they will be drank if swmbo has anything to do with it.
DJ1: Empty
DJ2: Empty
DJ3: Empty

Conditioning:

Drinking:

Planning: Wilko Golden Ale, Wilko Elderflower Wine

Old 03-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #5
darrellm

Liked 475 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Just tried another bottle after 2 months of ageing and it's matured really well, hard to do a like-for-like comparison but this now tastes as good as any sub-£10 bottle of Pinot Grigio I've tested. Gonna do a 30 bottle batch of this next time, well recommended.
shedbrewer Likes This 
Old 27-09-2013, 10:44 PM   #6
Rucky

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hi all,

Am pretty much a total newb so please excuse the stoopid questions...

Had done a couple of Wilko's wine kits and two Festival ale kits, all of which have turned out somewhere between OK and excellent - then decided to take the plunge with a "posh" wine kit. Went for thr Beaverdale Pinot Grigio. Mrs Rucky likes pinot so thought that was as good a one to do as any. Put the six-bottle kit on last night and even 24 hours later there is almost no krausen. It's definitely fermenting because I lifted the lid just now and took a whiff - nearly fell over!! In people's experience is this a slow-brewing kit? Should I even expect a krausen with wine? Also, I know some people have said to expect the must to turn "milky" but mine still looks nice and clear so far (24 hr in). Should I be concerned? Would hate to think I've mucked up a 12-quid, 6-bottle kit...

Please explain in simple language!

Thanks,

Rucky.

Old 29-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
Rucky

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Going pretty well now, 72 hours after I pitched it. No need to have fretted I guess.

Old 21-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #8
Peige

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've done three wine kits now, this pinot was my second (the third being a Vineco white merlot)

Have to say that this pinot is our favourite and I will be doing it again in the new year. Lovely flavours and crisp/fresh, plus its getting better with age although it was good even on the day of bottling.
My LHBS told me the beaverdale kits are better as they have more grape juice in them, all be it a slightly higher cost.

First class wine
shedbrewer Likes This 
Old 27-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #9
Geoffers

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This was my first wine kit (6 bottle kit) and left it for the other half to drink as I am not a fan of White wines.

I got a big thumbs up from her and also from her folks so take that as a good sign. The 6 bottles that I bottled on the 14th December are down to 3 so it's not going to get long to mature so I have just ordered a 30 bottle kit so that'll be fermenting soon.
Currently Fermenting:

Clearing a 30 bottle Beaverdale Pinot Grigio
Bulk aging:
Semi turbo cider (Sainsburys juice and home pressed apples from the poor harvest this year)
Kegged:
Milestones Donner and Blitzed
shedbrewer Likes This 
Old 29-12-2013, 12:56 PM   #10
Peige

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just started my second one of these kits as we were getting low on Pinot. Can't run out of this one!