Grape concentrate vs Grape Juice Cartons

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matjam

Reaction score
Hi all,

With the 50% offers on in Wilkos can someone explain the difference between Grape Juice Concentrate and the White/Red Grape Juice cartons from supermarkets?

I was going to get the concentrates today at lunchtime but then panicked as I couldn't see any sugar details on it or anything and didn't know where I'd use it. I'm making WOWs/Juice wines at the moment.

Any help/advice much appreciated?

Matt

Red and white grape juice from a supermarket is a dessert variety of grape and thus lacks the acids and tanins found in wine varieties. Grape concentrate is made from a wine variety grapes. White Grape juice is fine for juice wines but red juice lacks the depth of colour, body and vinocity of grape concentrate. :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks for that Graysalchemy.

So I may pop back and get some red concentrate. Do they contain sugar to factor in to calculations, or would I just rely on my hydrometer readings?

Matt

I would use a hydrometer. Thats what I do with wine kits fill them until I get the desired SG (usually a few bottles less than the 30 bottles the kit says. :thumb: :thumb:

It's all a bit of a grey area. We are like mushrooms. They keep us in the dark and feed us ********. So long as there is some grape element in the brew, it will be better for it. I currently favour minced sultanas for this purpose.

Latest posts

Back