trying a strawberry ribena again

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astraman1

Reaction score
last one gave up way to early stopped at 1050

but this one im going about it a different way ive got the ribena cartons with no preservatives

4 ribena cartons 1 l each which contain 436g sugar
ive added 360g of sugar to it so total of 800g sugar so far going to top up when its fermented down will add a further 200g
also added some tannin powder 2 tsp
and i may add half a tsp of citirc acid powder too

started it last night with a gervin gv3 wine yeast i had laying around

started bubblin with in 5 mins now we wait

You'll get on way better with the non-concentrated stuff. I pointed out the "fresh" stuff ages ago but I guess the money comes into peoples decisions.

i knew someone pointed it out i just couldnt find it again so went in blind i prefer doing my own thing anyway i like to get a basis then put my own spin on things

yes its only cost me £5 total so cant grumble really its not like i drink loads

for the record its 11 hours in and im getting 1 bubble every 7 seconds

Sounds good, it should start flying by tomorrow. One bubble every 1-3 seconds is a good ferment (if everything is sealed well of course).

Good luck with it :)

really nice its mellowed it loads nice feel in the mouth and has a slightly smoky sort of flavour to it and strawberry too goes down abit too well lol saved one bottle of it for a special occasion i turn 31 tomorrow so thought id crack it open

I made a Ribena wine when i first started home brewing, i followed the instructions and boiled the Ribena for 15 minutes to get rid of the preservative, it stopped fermenting at approximately 1015 and i binned it, i am convinced boiling does not get rid of the preservative.

I meant to try making a gallon of white grape juice and apple juice wine (one litre of each) then adding the ribena to taste at the end after stabilising but never got round to it, maybe one for the future. :hmm:

I had the same experience. Just goes to show there are recipes in books you just can't trust. I believe that many of the recipes in 'First Steps' were sent in to Amateur Winemaker and included in the book untested.

my first attempt at it failed it stopped at 1050 and would not budge then i got ready diluted 1L cartons and used that no preservatives in it

Latest posts

Back