3D printing uses in homebrew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These are pretty interesting, hadn't really made the connection to making stuff for homebrew.

Guess main thing will be whether it's cheaper to buy something than print yourself (i've no idea how much the base material costs?)

a few more idea

Could possibly print parts to make crates
stoppers for wine bottles
clips etc for thermometers/syphons

So interesting. :thumb:

Is it going to be like 'VHS vs Betamax' with the interface, software, materials and file types on these things? Difficult to know when to buy in to these and at what point there will be enough templates and standardised ways of doing things. I don't want to buy one, and then find that there is a much more universal, widely catered-for model coming out in three days time, which works on a broader, more integrated platform.

I dont think that would be an issue - these things all seem to work off standard 3D CAD designs.

problems might be in re-fill of 'ink cartridge' though. This Maplin one comes in thin plastic 'wire' on a roll.

Save your money, a few years away yet from being able to make anything other than laminated plastic for the home market, the finish on items from these printers is not as good as it may first appear, many parts usually need tiding and cleaning with acetone etc.

Where I work we use industrial units for prototyping etc.

One day they will revolutionise manufacturing but not just yet, save your hard earned pennies and watch with interest and then when you can reliably print HDPE and know it won't fail at 85C buy one. Currently material costs and print time are too expensive and too long for the home user.
I can't wait because the possibilities will be amazing.

Hi JimmyB78,

3D printing material's cost depends. Just be sure to order quality filament materials to avoid printing dilemmas. My very first purchase of ABS Filament 1.75 Black was from 3d2print. So far, all ABS plastic filaments they delivered are compatible with my 3D printers.

It's awesome tech but I guess it's only as good as the person drawing?

I presume its CAD or the like?

I'll be excited when we can print metals and plastics cheaply.

Until then I best develop my 3D CAD work!

Hey Peter. 3D2PRINT is definitely a good source of different types of filament. All the pieces I’ve printed in my MakerBot are all delivered by them. Right now I’m waiting for my Nylon Filament to arrive. I will be making bicycle parts using this material. So wish me luck.

It's funny how real spam manages to stick in the forum ^^^^^^^^

Even if it has revived an old thread.

:nah:

Latest posts

Back