Bulldog, Hammer of Thor

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kegbelly

Reaction score
Have had this in the keg now 6 days, tasted it yesterday and its tasting very good, plenty of flavour,not much hops and quite strong. Overall a good brewkit and being my first it was a doddle.

Hi kegbelly let me know how get on with this one i'm interested in doing one of these may get it brewed and bottled for christmas.

Looks an impressive kit similar to what i have seen of the festival kits hope it goes well redhouse will get mine ordered over the next few weeks.

Well I have had my 'Hammer of Thor' going for a little under a week now (started last Saturday). Followed the instructions as is and had an OG of 1.052 and it started quite quickly, after 2 days the bubbles in the airlock slowed right down. Put the hops bag into the FV on Wednesday evening and is smelling great. The airlock has stopped bubbling but there are still some small bubbles rising to the surface, so will give it a few days in the FV yet.

I'll take a gravity reading tomorrow and see where it sits, hoping for about 6% but either way should be a nice pint.

Planning to bottle it for the Christmas season, although I know I'm a little late!
:cheers:

Ok, airlock has stopped bubbling totally now but still got slight pressure on the lid of the fv, although there is no sign of fermenting from airlock or bubbles rising to the surface of the wart. The 'hammer of Thor' has been in the fv for 8 days now at about 20 degrees C. I took a gravity reading tonight of 1.008, which I make coming out at 5.8%, I am going to leave it in the tv for a couple more days to see if the gravity reading changes, otherwise I will be bottling this one on Tuesday or Wed, which will be 9 or 10 days in fv.

Does this all sound about right? Or should I get it off the yeast and bottle now?

Thanks in advance

Trev

Trev - you are spot on, 9-10 days before bottling will be fine. Unless there is clearly fermenting activity then I wouldn't leave it beyond that as you will be losing the aromatic effect of the hop tea.

I'm just a few days behind you - OG down to 1014 today with fermenting still evident - moved it into a SV as I find getting it off the main trub helps it clear, probably a week away from bottling for me.

Stuart

I have just taken another gravity reading and it is the same as it was on Sunday 1.008 (5.8%) There were no sign of fermentation so I have just bottled this lager, with one carbonation drop in each bottle. The little taster I have had taste very pleasant; maybe a little sharp, but I'm sure this will mature into a great tasty beer in a couple of months. :cheers:
I squeezed 43, 500ml bottles out of the FV so very please at the estimated price per pint being approx. 60p! Not the cheapest but a lot cheaper than the local boozer :whistle:

Final outcome yet to be confirmed but I am feeling confident in this good quality kit.

As this is only my second brew, Let me know if anything sounds wrong, please

Trev

Stuart- Hope your brew turns out great too, let me know, what you think of it?

Archtronics - I used all the supplied ingredients as I made the kit - the yeast states ' Genuine Brewers Yeast - Varietal Strain' this means very little to me I'm afraid, I have read on here that these kits supply good quality ingredients so I just used what was supplied.

I am interested in this for Christmas too. I am considering buy a keg for my brew but I like my beer cold. Does anyone kn ow if I can put the brew into a keg, then bottle it from there so I can put it in the fridge, or is that a silly question?

PBASHT said:
I am interested in this for Christmas too. I am considering buy a keg for my brew but I like my beer cold. Does anyone kn ow if I can put the brew into a keg, then bottle it from there so I can put it in the fridge, or is that a silly question?

Brew it, keg it, let it condition in the warm for a month, then move the keg outside i.e. garage, shed etc. at Christmas so it's nice and chilly (if you're in the UK!)

Keg to bottle will result in an almost flat bottle of beer. Some people keg half a brew and bottle the rest....

Ok, thanks. I live in South Wales so yes it will be nice and chilled outside haha. Good idea doing half keg and half bottle, I'll try that.

This has been in the bottle now for just over 2 weeks. About 10 days in the warm and then moved to the garage still quite mild at 16-19c. Just opened my first bottle not that fizzy yet but I guess it's still a bit early?
It has cleared well but is quite dark in colour for a lager although not as dark as a commercial bitter.
As for taste, I know it is quite strong (abv) but it tastes quite heavy - more of an ale taste than a larger (maybe that's the lack of carbonation?).
Bottom line, I like it and it is certainly strong, May even be stronger than my 5.8% prediction. I'm hoping it will mature a little milder/lighter by Xmas. I may try a European style lager next, any suggestions?

Trev

Trev,
FWIW I've found the Wilko delicate pilsner brewed with about 1kg beer enhancer, 500g brewing sugar and dry hopped with saaz works out nicely. Still a good strength (around 5% IME) but goes down very well.

Holding out for a first taste of my batch of HoT bottled 13 days ago!

Stuart

Stuart,

Thanks for the advice about Wilko's pilsner, I will give it ago next (maybe this week). I'm not that bothered about the abv strength as long as its a nice pint.

I'm hoping my HoT will get better for Christmas - its still only been in the bottle for just under 3 weeks. Let me know your thoughts when you first try it?

Cheers
Trev

I tried a bottle of mine 2 days ago so its had 3 and a bit weeks of conditioning - quite dark and has an alcohol taste to it so definately needs a good chunk more time IMHO.
Will try another in 3-4 weeks - all in the interests of science :D

Stuart

Latest posts

Back