Simply, Mild Kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadrikXIV

Regular.
Reaction score
I have actually done one of these myself, think it was under £10.

Sturdy plastic bag type of kit.
Very easy to make, simple instructions.
Yeast 'welded' to the bottom of the plastic sachet.

I did deviate and used a medium spray malt as felt it would need all the help.

Brewed exactly as it said it would, left it for an extra week before kegging it, batch primed, but a few 'sample' bottles.

Overall, think it came out at 3.6ish% very drinkable, not the worst I've drunk, didn't have too much of the homebrew taste to it (But that may of been the malt)

The sample's went down well with my ale drinking colleagues, still got some left in the keg after about 2 months (several kegs and bottles, not that I'm avoiding it)

Wouldn't say it's changed too much since brewing, still keeps it's head all the way down the glass.

An ok beer, but I would probably pay that bit extra for a Coopers

I have found my testers to fall into three different camps, those that like "sour/malty" beers, those that like "hoppy" beers and people like me that like both. To be honest though I do fall more on the side of the hoppy beers and this particular beer is more on the malty and yes "mild" side of things. Saying that this is a really nice smooth drinkable beer with a head that lasts all the way down the glass to the very last drop - very impressive. I brewed this with 500g of medium spray malt and 500g of brewing sugar. If I start on this beer I can easily stay on this all evening, very pleasant drink, and considering the price brilliant value for money (as are all the Simply range in my opinion). This looks, tastes and feels like real beer that you would get in a pub - except it has a better head than most pubs serve - rather than some of the other one can kits.

On a tasting session this is the beer that I will start with and then move up the more hoppy and strength list as the evening moves on. It is quite dark, reddish in colour underneath that darkness and I detect a bit of cherry to the flavour (another taster thought so too, mind you that might just be auto suggestion!). Definitely recommend this as part of your range of beers to offer guests. One of my brother in laws likes this and loves the Brown ale that Simply make but hates hoppy beers so its great to be able to make lots of different people happy :clap:

Got mine for £6 in a sale and made it up with 500g dark spray malt and 500g dextrose

Left it to do its magic and left for 3 weeks in the fv before bottling.
Its now been left for about 6 weeks and have tried more than several bottles and each one has no head it just looks similar to pint of cola ( but thankfully no cola taste lol).
Quite a pleasant drink but spoilt a little for me with the lack of head :cheers:

I've just bottled a batch of this, as my first attempt at a mild, and it is sitting in a nice cosy corner conditioning away...

After seeing some comments about the kit needing a bit of a boost, I used 500g Muntons dark spray-malt and 700g Muntons beer enhancer rather than brewing sugar, and added some Goldings hops in a bag to the FV. It has come out nice and dark brown, and has a nice malty smell to it, which all seems pretty good, although at 4.0% abv seems a little on the light side of things. I'm looking forwards to giving it a trial taste in a few weeks time, although I suspect this will end up needing a few months to gather some character.

Well, a month or so after bottling, and I have to say I'm impressed with the mild. Very drinkable indeed. Not much of a head (they are being stored fairly cold at the moment, but very tasty indeed. It might be a struggle getting this to last into the summer!

Hop you don't mind refreshing old thread.

Just done this kit yesterday, tasted sample I used for gravity and it was quite bitter in taste - when milds I know they have not much bitterness in them, would that subside?

My first kit, as I started with all grain before - I know other way round than most.

Latest posts

Back