Wilko Pressure Barrels

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tubby thumper

Reaction score
Evening all!
Just wondering if anyone has any experience of using wilkos pressure barrels?
I've just started brewing and have gone for one of the milestone starter kits complete with king keg. I'd like to get a few more on the go and noticed that the wilkos barrels are somewhat cheaper than a new kingkeg- admittedly without the co2 option. Does this make much difference? Are they reliable? I see they do a cap with a co2 valve but at £19 the combined cost isn't far short of a king keg from my nearest HBS. Any help anyone might venture would be very much appreciated thanks! :D

I've just started out too and was looking at the Wilko ones. I know they're deemed largely fit for purpose; but seeing as I knew I'd be needing the s30 cap anyway it turned out the exact same price to just get a KK from LHBS already fitted with one. (Well, about £2 difference). Also, might just be me, but the KK's seem much sturdier, and I like the handles for lugging them into place with reduced risk of excessive agitation etc (to the beer, and my back).

I have one, seems fine to me. I have the CO2 cap also. Must confess I don't use it any more but that's only because I prefer the beer in bottles. And the whole bottle / label experience. Would use it again if planning a party.

Not sure about nowadays but back in 1998 I bought wilkinsons kegs and found them to be serviceable and reasonable value. If the price isn't do far different though and you like king kegs then go for the king keg :)

I have been using them, had 5 :D 2 cracked, and made the cellar smell beery.

I did get compensation and replacement kits from wilko/manufacturers.

I do think the standard keg, the screw top is an issue, the pressure relieve 'valve' bit of rubber round a hole seems very tight and doesn't vent properly.

The Co2 tops seem to have a more flexible bit of rubber on the cap and may vent quicker.

Both would of been primed with 80g of sugar, 1 was a festival kit, so that had supplied sugar.

I lost half a wherry kit in a wilkos pressure barrel recently! As mentioned the pressure release valve is too tight and the tap leaked first.
Fair play to wilkos though. After i complained they are going to replace my barrel with a new one and also replace the wherry kit!
Im considering going for the Co2 lid. I wonder if it can be found cheaper online? Time to google! :thumb:

Edit:
Found this! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... ink:top:en
Or this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Homebrew-Barr ... 27c9ce3c5d

Ive also got a Wilkos barrel with a CO2 cap, the tap leaks before the vent blows until a good few pints have been drawn off. For the money another KK would have been a better option.

For what it's worth, I've got a King Keg and a cheapo Wilko barrel, the Wilko one gets used all the time but the KK stands empty - just too problematic. Was fine when I bought it but started having problems 18 months in, renewed the seals, even took it to the LHBS for testing, but have lost a couple of brews and confidence in KKs.

Yes, the Wilko barrel leaks round the tap occasionally, but you get a feeling when there's too much pressure and just draw a bit of beer off to release it a bit. With the addition on an S30 cap, I don't think these can be beaten - just IMHO of course.

darrellm said:
Yes, the Wilko barrel leaks round the tap occasionally, but you get a feeling when there's too much pressure and just draw a bit of beer off to release it a bit.

Yes, you have to do this. Just put sommat under the tap to catch the drips and when it starts dripping, draw off a pint. I don't find this onerous, somehow...

Hi,

I have just transferred 2 batches to Wilkos Kegs without the CO2 attachment. Should I expect problems with the vent? At what time is this most dangerous? The fist week in the warm or when in the cold?

How should I monitor this and if required vent? draw off beer or release by unscrewing the cap to vent?

Thanks (now slightly nervous)

Doug

Thanks for all the advice-think I'll buy one and give it a go-what's the worst that could happen?.....!!

I'm sure it will be fine. Just be sure to remove the tap, grease the threads and washer, and then put it back very tight.

I just kegged a brew yesterday so will see how that goes. No drips so far anyway!

I replaced the taps on my Wilko Kegs, although I still have a brew in one with a standard wilko tap, it drips, so I just turn the tap part in to point upwards, if you hold the thread bit the tap assembly will turn if careful.

MadrikXIV said:
I replaced the taps on my Wilko Kegs, although I still have a brew in one with a standard wilko tap, it drips, so I just turn the tap part in to point upwards, if you hold the thread bit the tap assembly will turn if careful.

Hi mate,
What taps did you change to? Have they been successful?

Would be good to know! I'm very nervous about kegging another brew after loosing 20 pints of my last kegged one :pray:

I have a wilko barrel and king keg both are good. Only issue I have with wilko one is the lid is too small to get ur hand in to give it a good scrub where you can in the kk but on the whole its still a good barrel

Hi
I have 2 wilco barrels and both leaked from the seal around the tap. The problem is easily rectified just do it up more tightly, leak solved and it is keeping pressure with no issues.
Otherwise good economy barrel. I could spend more but why?
Btw, my understanding is that this type of barrel tap has a conical shaped thread. It is not held in place by a locking ring inside the barrel. As a result it my have a tendency to work loose, particularly if under pressure once you have primed so always a good thing to double check and make sure it remains secure.
Bowl sprayer

Latest posts

Back