Wilkinsons real ale kit.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have brewed enough kits to know what's what, and I am 99% certain that this is a re badged Wherry kit. Nothing wrong with that though, as it was in the half price sale a few months ago, so I picked it up for £8.

Brewed as per usual with 1tsp nutrient to 23l SG 1040 - FG 1012. Added 25g Fuggles and 30g Cascade - a lovely pint, just right for a chilly autumn evening.

Only problem is Wilkinson now selling Wherry for £1 less than this own brand kit :hmm:

Had a pint of this tonight,been in the bottle three weeks,it's very nice I did it with hop tea and dry hopped it with EKG although I think I was a bit mean with the hops :) I will up the ante next time :thumb: Another three or four weeks and this should be a really good pint. :drink:

Had this hanging around for a while so thought i would bob it on, I have a wherry waiting in the wings as well and the wording on the boxes for the instructions is virtually identical - a wherry in disguise me thinks! :hmm:

How much priming sugar did you chaps use? :hat:

Well chaps after 5 days of activity in the airlock region all seems to have gone quiet, so i thought i would give it a test and it's down to 1014 from 1042 which is exactly the FG it states on the packaging, by my reckoning it should be 4% i had a quick taste and i know it is early days but it tasted pretty good if a little watery. :hat:

Just finished the last bottle of this and here are my thoughts, it started off a little watery and a bit thin in the early samples but after around six weeks in the bottle it improved to be a really nice pint, good maltiness and not too bitter. If I was to do it again i think i would maybe add some beer enhancer and or dry hops.
As for it being a wherry in disguise i will report back when my wherry is ready.:hat:

I have just put one of these on today. Looks a fair bit darker than the Wherry, but if it turns out anywhere near as good, I will be well pleased.

I am experimenting with hops and kit beers at the moment and put it on with the last (30g - ish) of the Bouclier leaf hops I got from the Malt Miller for £1. Did these as a sort of hop tea, but boiled them for a few minutes (5?) with some DME.

By the time I'd stopped chucking the water in, it had turned out at 26L, but I routinely add 500g table sugar to even a 2 can kit.

Since these kits are currently £12.75 (2 can kit) at Wilko, maybe more people out there could give it a go and report back?

:party:

Just finished the last bottle of this and here are my thoughts, it started off a little watery and a bit thin in the early samples but after around six weeks in the bottle it improved to be a really nice pint, good maltiness and not too bitter. If I was to do it again i think i would maybe add some beer enhancer and or dry hops.
As for it being a wherry in disguise i will report back when my wherry is ready.:hat:

Hey, Count

I would guess your Wherry should be pretty much ready - how does it compare?

I guess there's a limit to how different you can go with a kit. Interested in the Count's observation that the Wherry was maltier in taste. I'd attributed the distincive Wherry flavour to being a bit more "flavour hops" than most.

Anyway, it's bubbling away in a slightly more restrained fashion than the last couple of brews, so high hopes on this one.

Last edited:
I've just picked up this kit and looking forward in doing it. I might add a little Styrian Goldings, is it worth adding any hops or is it nice as is?

Really ? ;) Hmmm .........clones are everywhere!

That's my opinion Beersphere others may not agree.
I have seen other own brand products that are manufactured in the same way and process as premium brands and they used cheaper ingredients.:hat:

That's my opinion Beersphere others may not agree.
I have seen other own brand products that are manufactured in the same way and process as premium brands and they used cheaper ingredients.:hat:

Hi Monte
Lets just say "Hypothetically" I've Been there, seen it, but unfortunately they were not selling T shirts !;-)

I have just put one of these on today. Looks a fair bit darker than the Wherry, but if it turns out anywhere near as good, I will be well pleased.

I am experimenting with hops and kit beers at the moment and put it on with the last (30g - ish) of the Bouclier leaf hops I got from the Malt Miller for £1. Did these as a sort of hop tea, but boiled them for a few minutes (5?) with some DME.

By the time I'd stopped chucking the water in, it had turned out at 26L, but I routinely add 500g table sugar to even a 2 can kit.
Since these kits are currently £12.75 (2 can kit) at Wilko, maybe more people out there could give it a go and report back?

:party:
Any updates mate,ive my own version bubbling away
cheers

This was bottled on 13 August and it was pretty clear - unlike every Wherry i've ever done. It's now in the garage in 12x2L PET bottles. There wasn't enough left over for a decent taste, though, in fact not so much as a sniff. It might be worth trying this weekend or next, as the hoppiness tends not to last long.

Latest posts

Back