Vinegar taste and smell-Christmas beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanshelton

Landlord.
Reaction score
So my beer has gone from being a bit tasteless to tasting and smelling like vinegar. It's had quite a lot of cinnamon and nutmeg added to it and it doesn't taste or smell like anything apart from vinegar. I've had a sample and it's disgusting. Do you reckon it's safe to say it's drain cleaner?

Does it have a film or pellicle on it? Any chance that fruit fly got into it they are still about that is the most likely cause . How did you add the spice before or after fermentation and if after did you sterilise at all?

But yes if it tastes like vinegar and smells like vinegar it will be vinegar. :( :(

Keep a gallon for next years pickles thats what I do. Beersamic vinegar it is wonderful.

graysalchemy said:
Any chance that fruit fly got into it they are still about that is the most likely cause. How did you add the spice before or after fermentation and if after did you sterilise at all?

It was added after fermentation but I've just realised I added orange to it in the secondary, didn't think about infection like a fool so I bet that's what's caused it

More likely fruit fly. I have always dunked them in a little boiling water first, not 100% guarantee but it would help. Some people use a little vodka to sterilise.

orange peel is better if baked in the oven until dry (watch out for burning) and crisp ish , this will insure it's safe and will also bitter the orange (which 9 out of 10 is better) .

Pesky little bloody flies spoiling my brew :( it's now down the drain, I'm not a fan of vinegar! Thanks for the help GA and pittsy, I'm going to try that next time :thumb:

B*stard flies.

I've yet to have an infected brew, but my time will come. I think I'll feel utterly devastated.

It's like doing a full days work finding out you're only getting paid in vinegar :|

Latest posts

Back