Muntons IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slid

Forum Friend
Staff member
Reaction score
Muntons IPA was my first kit bought and second one made after a 25 year gap from homebrewing :D
The first up was a Coopers lager that came with the rest of the stuff that came with my 55th birthday present.
The Coopers lager is an OK kit, one i will repeat many times, I'm sure - it is really brilliant compared to the sort of supermarket lager I have been drinking for very many years. :doh:

But this Muntons 2x1.5 kit turns out to be a real sensation :party: I brewed the kit to the "plus 1kg of sugar" option. This is the Officers strength brew that turns out at around 6% - an extraordinary strength for a beer to my thinking.

The early sampling was not good - it had a strange spicy taste I could not really place at bottling time, which was a week after pitching. (I now think this was a bit soon!).

Four weeks on, the brew is superb. Malty, flavoursome, rich, warming, satisfying and best of all, I have another kit in the cupboard. :tongue:

This is just so much better than the stuff I brewed then, with half dead hops and surface seeking yeast, in a huge great pan, annoying the rest of the family with the all pervasive hoppy smell, all those years ago, I could almost cry.

Anyway, nostalgia apart, this is a great brew - I recommend the "kit and kilo" approach - just this once - for the Raj :lol:

Hi, have just started brewing again myself, having done some in the 80's.
And I have been impressed with quality of the modern kits,
much better than I remember.

Glad to see there are people out there who like the IPA. I didn't ! I did this one back in the summer of 2013 and I can quite honestly say that it was the most disappointing kit I have done to date. The resulting beer was weak, flavourless and had almost no hop character at all. It didn't even improve with time, it was just so totally underwhelming. I was expecting more. Following this experience, I haven't bought another Munton's Kit. If you like your beer to have a bit of character, I'd not bother with this one. :hmm:

I've just started drinking this after just over 4 weeks conditioning in the shed. I made it with 500g of sugar which is half way between 'Troops Tipple' and 'Officers Reserve'; final strength came out at 5.6%. I also had my first experiment with dry hopping, 50g of East Kent Goldings for 5 days after initial fermentation was over.

It's good! Came out darker than I expected but nice and clear. It had a little 'tang' to it when I first tried it a week or so ago but this now seems to have disappeared. I'm sure it can only get better and better with age, unlikely that I will give it a chance though...... :)

Not bad this one, slightly better than average I'd say. I did the "reserve", version which came in a 5.9%, and I think the alcohol helps, as otherwise it might have been a bit bland. I've found a lot of the Munton's to be a bit bland and similar (except the Midas Touch, which stands apart as the most different of any beer I have ever brewed), but this one does has a little something about it. Not sure it would make a Top-5 though.

Doesn't hold its head very well and is darker than you might expect from a Pale. I'm not sure I'd even call it an IPA, but it's OK, whatever it is.

Latest posts

Back