Better Brew Czech Pilsner - DME instead of Sugar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickeywheelspin

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just picked up a Better Brew Czech Pilsner kit and plan on putting it on over the weekend. I bought 1KG of extra light DME to use instead of sugar - I'm right in thinking that I can use DME as a direct replacement aren't I? I get a nagging feeling that I need to use more but I'm probably thinking about offsetting the water content of LME....

I'll probably be priming with brewing sugar - shouldn't be an issue if the bulk of the fermentables are DME should it?

Ta,

Mike.

Correct. You can use the spraymalt in place of the brewing sugar and still use the latter to prime with.

Thanks, thought I could use it weight for weight with sugar but wanted to be sure. :thumb:

DME isn't as fermentable as sugar, and there isn't as sugar, and your OG will be a couple of points lower. It will work, but you'll end with a slightly less alcoholic but richer tasting lager, with a bit more body. You'll still be fine to prime with sugar :cheers:

I did the same as Diggerg and although it's only been in the bottle 2 weeks the taste is really nice, I'm very impressed with this kit.

Latest posts

Back