a (possible) endless supply of Cascade

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pakman

Regular.
Reaction score
When SWMBO asked what I wanted for a wedding anniversary present and knowing she likes internet shopping I said that I could do with some Cascade hops as I was running low. :hmm:

So she visited www.aplus-hops.co.uk and purchased two female Cascade plants for me to put in the garden. I plan to train them up the side of the canopy over the patio and then across strings run underneath the clear plastic roof.

This still means I need to get some Cascade hops very soon but it'll be an interesting experiment with the prospect of some green hop beers in the future. :thumb:

Graham

I want your missus, fancy a trade? :)

Think I'll pass that link to mine, christmas is coming and she's muttering about not having an pressie input from me :D

Pakman said:
When SWMBO asked what I wanted for a wedding anniversary present and knowing she likes internet shopping I said that I could do with some Cascade hops as I was running low. :hmm:

So she visited http://www.aplus-hops.co.uk and purchased two female Cascade plants for me to put in the garden. I plan to train them up the side of the canopy over the patio and then across strings run underneath the clear plastic roof.

This still means I need to get some Cascade hops very soon but it'll be an interesting experiment with the prospect of some green hop beers in the future. :thumb:

Graham

My 1 plant has arrived today from aplus-hops I've planted and dug it in ;) Mine were Wye Challenger .....exciting times :grin:

gazkilla said:
Pakman said:

So she visited http://www.aplus-hops.co.uk and purchased two female Cascade plants for me to put in the garden. I plan to train them up the side of the canopy over the patio and then across strings run underneath the clear plastic roof.

Graham

My 1 plant has arrived today from aplus-hops I've planted and dug it in ;) Mine were Wye Challenger .....exciting times :grin:

Its not really the right time to plant out hop rhizomes. Growers send them out at this time of year because they are dormant. They are possibly just going to sit in the cold soil and die. If possible, dig it up and put it in a well drained pot, a green house is ideal, if not put the pot somewhere shelterd with a piece of glass/persplex, clear polythene bag over it...Plant out in the spring
Green hops will take your beer to another level

johnnyboy1965 said:
Its not really the right time to plant out hop rhizomes. Growers send them out at this time of year because they are dormant. They are possibly just going to sit in the cold soil and die. If possible, dig it up and put it in a well drained pot, a green house is ideal, if not put the pot somewhere shelterd with a piece of glass/persplex, clear polythene bag over it...Plant out in the spring
Green hops will take your beer to another level

:doh: What if I cover the ground with some white fleece where I planted it? :hmm:

Could you dig up put in pot bring into house for winter then plant in spring.

Just for info i know f all about gardening.

I have seen "bare root" plants for sale recently.. Is this the same deal as for planting period?

chrig said:
I have seen "bare root" plants for sale recently.. Is this the same deal as for planting period?
Yes, suppliers send them out this time of year because they are in a dormant stage. You can plant them outside, but not advisable. Buy a rhizome, put it in a suitable pot and leave in a sheltered position until spring. The rhizomes that you can buy online (aplushops ) are one year old...I buy all my rhizomes form aplus, but they are "babies" and wont stand up to a hard winter if planted out now. You also wont get a crop for at least 3 years.

johnnyboy1965 said:
chrig said:
Yes, suppliers send them out this time of year because they are in a dormant stage. You can plant them outside, but not advisable. Buy a rhizome, put it in a suitable pot and leave in a sheltered position until spring. The rhizomes that you can buy online (aplushops ) are one year old...I buy all my rhizomes form aplus, but they are "babies" and wont stand up to a hard winter if planted out now. You also wont get a crop for at least 3 years.

Not entirely accurate, they supposedly crop better after 3 years but I've had 4-500g (dried) off my cascade for the last 2 years... and that's how long it's been in the ground.

keith1664 said:
johnnyboy1965 said:
chrig said:

Not entirely accurate, they supposedly crop better after 3 years but I've had 4-500g (dried) off my cascade for the last 2 years... and that's how long it's been in the ground.
But imagine what sort of crop you might have got if you follow a couple of basic horticulturaly (sp) rules
I used to grow loads of hops on my allotment and still grow them in my garden
1, Year 1. now December...buy your hop rhizome..plant it in a pot in compost and keep it in a well sheltered position
Plant out in the spring 2014
First years growth...remove all buds....hard I know..but you have to speculate to accumulate
Second year...as soon as buds appear...remove them...throw them away...again I know
Third year...this little bad boy wants to nothing but produce flowers (lupins) This is what we want and because you stopped it by removing the cones/flowers in the first couple of years you will get a better yield
I hope this Helps everyone

Update from world of Pak:-
I planted my Rhyzomes in dry compost as soon as they arrived. As spring approached I moved them into a large (surplus) bottle recycling box with loads of compost from our compost heap. One rhyzome has produced several shoots, a couple of which I've removed, and the other has produced just one. I understand that the root system creation will reduce the crop for the first year but the plants have loads of small flowers on them already. I fixed a pulley onto the soffit board of my two storey house and used that to pull a four string climbing arrangement up high. Plan is to release the pulley string to harvest in September.
Roll on harvest.
Graham

Latest update - got loads of hops developing on the plants. The picture was taken out of an upstairs bedroom window giving an idea how high the plant has got.
http://www.jannock.org.uk/Brewing/Cascade.JPG
The plain surface is the roof over the patio under which the boiling happens.
Really looking forward to harvest time.
Graham

Cascade.JPG

From the ground almost to the guttering on a two storey house. Three vines from two plants.
Graham

Back