Wilko light golden lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks. Just bought this kit and some brewing sugar from wilko. However shimbo says i should start it after christmas as she doesnt want FV taking up kitchen interfering with the sprouts and turkey. so will keep you posted as i brew.After chrismas but hopefully in FV before new year
Will be a simple brew with tin and brewing sugar as per recipe might brew short 20l.

+1 for that, early new year start for me just started a wilko sweet newkie brown so have to wait for that to finish to start the lager. :cheers:

Nice to see that I am not alone in being "discouraged" from my newly rediscovered hobby over the festive period. :D

Wilko's Golden Lager is a new name to me - is it a cousin of Wilko's 2 can kit the Golden Ale, do we know?

wilko light golden lager put onh old as got given milestone galleon which has now got in the FV

Hello all.

This kit was actually my most recent beer brew.

I cobbled it up with a kilo of brewing sugar, short to around 18 litres and added a fair amount of dried Elderflower (around 100g i think).

Bottled it on Tuesday after 4 weeks in the primary, had a sneaky sample today and its pretty tasty. The Elderflower isnt overpowering and i would probably make it again.

My wife brought this for me thinking that she was buying me the Golden Ale and thought it was a real bargain. I brewed it anyway even though I am an Ale brewer/drinker normally, and left it to condition for a couple of months in the garage. It turned out to be a nice beer, not an amazing amount of taste (it is a larger after all!) but had a great head that stayed all the way down the glass. Better than most lagers that you get in the pub in my opinion. Will brew again for my larger drinking family.

I've tried making a Simply brand lager, got something lager-like but slightly bitter-like.

I'm looking for a lager to keep the Mrs happy, is this one anything like a famous lager with a 'black label' or could someone recommend one that does. I'm looking for a kit, as we don't have space for anything more labour or space intensive!

Or are there suggestions of how to modify an (any) lager to get something like what I'm after?

Moderators, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place, but if you don't ask, you don't get

Picked up two of these recently, at £8 in the sale. I thought maybe a two can kit approach -
2 cans, plus 1kg of sugar and perhaps brewed to 27L (6 gallons instead of 5) might get a decent result. The usual downside to 2x a one can kit brew is that it might be a tad bitter - don't see this being a problem for the kit lagers.

I also suspect that the difference between this and the Golden Ale 2 can kit might be pretty minimal. More in the packaging than the content. Oh, and 1 can vs 2 cans.

But whatthehell do I know? :lol:

Well finally got round to brewing this on Saturday 25 Jan new
Brewed short 19l 500g light spray malt 700g brewing sugar pitched yeast 20c
SG 1048
Will see where this one goes
Will update as we go along
Don't usually brew lager but cheap and cheerful from wilko and nice to have a lager and lime in the heat of the summer

A mate of mine is getting interested in brewing and so this week I gave him a taste of a couple of mine to see what he thought. The "beers" were:

Simply Brown Ale
Brewferm Amberioux
Geordie Winter Warmer
Coopers Ginger Ale
Wilko Light Golden lager
Wilko Apple Cider

Out of those his favourite was the larger which I had made with 1/2kg of Medium spray malt (by accident) and 1/2kg of sugar. This gave the lager a light "ale" taste which was quite pleasant. So there you go, not massively scientific but this does have a following and I will certainly make this again in the future.

Well Just bottled this today FG 1010 3 days running
primed direct in bottle with 2 sugar cubes per 500ml bottle
used cubes as cheaper than coopers carb drops and easy to prime as one cube fits in coopers bottle
slightly over primed ( would normally use one carb drop or equivalent) per 500ml for a beer but as this is a lager wanted bit mor of a fizz and head
fingers crossed bottles arent over primed as dont fancy clearing up the mess
tasted ok and as some spraymalt was used had some flavour to it considering its a lager
will leave for two weeks secondary fermentation then two weeks in shed (my usual procedure before taste test and hopefully will be drinkable and clear by then
will update with review then

finally got round to brewing this on 25th January 2014 then bottled 1 feb 2014 i wanted a fizzy lager for the girls and a light summer drink for a lager and lime im not a lager drinker but on a hot day a lager and lime goes down well. With this in mind a kinda of over primed my 500ml botlles with 2 sugar cubes in each bottle ( i know i hear you cry to much!!! ) anyway left secondary fermenting in kitchen no problems then out to the shed for clearing. Safe to say opened shed one day to the aroma of lager after 2 bottles exploded ( coopers pet bottles
Anyway since then all seems ok and tasted end of February and a little chemicaly with that after taste however now end of march and is not to bad typical lger little taste but not bad with a drop of lime. Due to me over priming it is rather fizzy and heady so wont be addin lemonade for a shandy
all in all not a bad drop cheapo lager for £10 in wilko sale end of Xmas
If you want a lager then you cant go wrong with this for the price

I have just this very minute poured my first glass of this beer and wow!
With all due respect to wilko but i thought i saw this kit as a modest budget kit that would fill the void until my next partial but boy was I wrong!
I can't believe how good this beer is! I brewed it short to 20L with the 5 and 7 method and a hop tea of around 25g ish of citra @15 mins. Left in the fv for 14 days and on day 8 i threw in another 25g ish (i say ish because it was basically a handful). The end result is miles better than I could have hoped for. It cleared in jig time,despite the hops and the taste is so crisp and fresh with that grapefruity hop aroma. The head is sticking around with lacing all the way to the bottom of the glass.
Wilko may do cheap but they also do quality.

Good job wilko!

I have just this very minute poured my first glass of this beer and wow!
With all due respect to wilko but i thought i saw this kit as a modest budget kit that would fill the void until my next partial but boy was I wrong!
I can't believe how good this beer is! I brewed it short to 20L with the 5 and 7 method and a hop tea of around 25g ish of citra @15 mins. Left in the fv for 14 days and on day 8 i threw in another 25g ish (i say ish because it was basically a handful). The end result is miles better than I could have hoped for. It cleared in jig time,despite the hops and the taste is so crisp and fresh with that grapefruity hop aroma. The head is sticking around with lacing all the way to the bottom of the glass.
Wilko may do cheap but they also do quality.

Good job wilko!

Great news on this one, as you say. Always good to be pleasantly surprised when a brew goes well.:-D

May I ask whether your Citra were leaf or pellets, how long it took and also as to the 5 and 7 method?

Hoppy beers are very popular now and there will be a lot of people interested in this experiment.

Hope I'm not butting in here.
The 5 and 7 refers to "Craigtubes" method of 500g LDME and 700g Dextrose.
I would also like to find out about the hops as I have never used Citra and I am starting to lean towards pellets rather than leaf hops which I find fade a lot quicker.
Cheers guys

I would also like to find out about the hops as I have never used Citra and I am starting to lean towards pellets rather than leaf hops which I find fade a lot quicker.
Cheers guys

Thanks 67, it is indeed Craigs method. The hops were leaf hops. An oz or 25g thrown loose into a saucepan of water (about a litre) for 15 mins then poured through a strainer into the FV. with about 6 days of fermentation left i threw another 25g in to dry hop and when it came time to bottle i boiled a hop bag to sterilise and placed it over the syphon to prevent debris getting into bottles. My opinion on hops is that pellets infuse more flavour than leaf. I only had citra leaf left hence my using them. If there is anyone wanting to experiment with hops then head over to the malt millers website. 100g hops for £1 on selected types as well as other discounted hops. I wouldn't pass Rob on price so check him out.
Cheers folks!

Okay so im now drinking this lager. I brewed with 800g brew enhancer and 500g light spray malt. Brewed to 19l. Its come out strong. 5.5%abv. But it lacks a lil taste not sure what yet. Ill have a few more bottles.see if i can put my finger on it.;)
All in all a nice kit very cheap but im more likely to pick up the delicate pilsner over this one.
And if im feeling flush and patient id pick up the coopers euro lager over both of the above.

Cheers guys

Thanks, guys, I have actually seen Craig's video(s) where he refers to 500g DME and 700g Dextrose, so my bad.

Have used the short boil with hop pellets quite successfully and will do so again.

I made this one up at the end of June. Nearer 700g DME than 500g and boiled it up with 23g of Saaz hop pellets. Added 1kg sugar and brewed to 25L so as to yield the magic 12 x 2L PET bottles (i.e. Lemonade or Cider bottles) that fit nicely in a Laundry crate.

I overprimed this one (again) and so it has a slight aftertaste, but it is definitely OK. It never did clear completely, but so what, really.

Very drinkable, due the lightness in body, and once the excess CO2 gets vented out the remaining bottles, I think this will be be pretty good.

Very pale in colour, too. Quite surprised this is not more popular.

Thinking about it, though, not many who made this kit will have left it so long. Shame - time is all these cheapo looking kits actually need to make beer rather better than the ones you see advertised.

This one tastes a bit like 1664, but less of the sickly, cloying type mouth-feel.

Latest posts

Back