Coopers European Lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sone

Regular.
Reaction score
This is my second attempt at this kit, really enjoyed the first one I did (only used Coopers BE2) but this time I am going to add some saaz hops to it as well as swapping the yeast to saflager s-23. I was going to boil 10g saaz for 15mins then 20g for 5 minutes.

I can't decide what fermentables to use though, I have got 500g extra light dme as I was going to use 1kg dextrose and 250g of the extra light. I'm sure I read somewhere using less dme is better so it keeps the taste clean so not to be as malty. The other part of me is thinking to order another bag of dme and using 1kg in total with no extra dextrose! What would you guys suggest?

I think coopers be2 is a mixture of sucrose, lme and maltodextrin which I think is unfermentable so it provides body and mouth feel. Go with 50:50 sucrose: lme. Let us know how the hops work out.

To stop me spending any more I will use the full 500g bag of extra light dme and 700g dextrose for now. Should work out pretty well shouldn't it? Then if I can get another European lager cheap I'll have a go with the full 1kg dme

Will keep you updated on the hops :thumb:

Sone said:
To stop me spending any more I will use the full 500g bag of extra light dme and 700g dextrose for now. Should work out pretty well shouldn't it? Then if I can get another European lager cheap I'll have a go with the full 1kg dme

Will keep you updated on the hops :thumb:

When i got this kit i used 1kg DME but i was told not to by the guy in the shop. he say it will gave a very malty taste. and i should 50/50 DME and dextrose so i cant see you been fair of the mark with yer set up.

and saaz is nver a bad thing to add

let us know how you get on and how you think it tastes :thumb:.
I will brew this again and next time it will be like yours 500g DME and 600/700g dextrose + saaz and a saaz tea

Don't forget to let me know how that turns out :thumb:

Good to know you'll be doing something slimier dave0w

All done now, ended up doing the hops the wrong way round 20g @ 15mins & 10g @ 5mins :doh: Knew I'd do at least one thing wrong! Shouldn't alter things too much should it? Should I dry hop this now as well?

OG of 1.046 :cheers:

should not make too much difference, will not make it too bitter. i would still dry hop but its your call

Glad to hear, only used hops a handful of times so not sure how much each addition adds overall, I knew I should have weighed the hops beforehand rather than on the fly :tongue:

Everything smelt amazing though! May as well dry hop with 30g saaz as well then

I will boil saaz 30g @ 60min, sazz 30g @ 10min, then dry hop 30g for the last 6 days for fermentation. i will use a lager yeast and aim for a fermentation temp of 10c to 12c

I am hoping a strong hop taste like in Stella, as i am using the hop time table from a Stella clone respire.

Just checked the gravity of this and it's at 1.010 so should be about 4.7%. Tasted amazing, just what was lacking from the first european lager I did, the kit really does require extra hops! Smelt a bit wine like which worried me but had nothing like it in the taste, maybe just the yeast?

I've decided not to bother dry hopping this time. It's been fermenting for 15 days now, should I rack and leave for another week or shall I just go ahead and bottle now?

What will you be priming your bottles with?

I have a Coopers European on the go which will need bottling soon, and I've never done it before!! :wha:

I've got some Coopers carbonation drops but don't know how much to use or if this is the best thing to be using for this brew? I have 500ml bottles.

I've gone pretty much to the instructions as its my first attempt, but like the idea of experimenting with adding hops.

Ive just kegged 2 lots and bottled one of this and kegs in shed, bottles primed in the house for a week or so

As this is fermented on low temps then I take it there is no need to put somewhere warm, as in will the original fermentation temp of 13-15 do it

I will be batch priming, probably with 147g sugar for 21 litres. I personally didn't like the coopers drops as they state 1 drop per 345-375ml bottle or 2 drops per 740-750ml bottle plus they are expensive when you can just use ordinary sugar!

I just left the bottles to carbonate for 2 weeks somewhere warm the first time I did this kit so I'll just do the same again :cheers:

That is brilliant! Just what I needed. Thanks. That was going to be my next question...how much sugar to batch prime...no need to ask it now! :cheers:

Latest posts

Back