Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Kits & Brewing Equipment Reviews. > Festival old Suffolk strong Ale

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 30-01-2014, 09:30 AM   #11
Maysie

Default Re: Festival old Suffolk strong Ale

I am at best a bit 'awkward', some may even go as far as to say clumsy.
I see burnt fingers and malt mess on the floor coming.....

Thanks for the advice!
Bottled: St Peters Cream Stout (29/12/2013), Woodfordes Nog (12/1/2014), St Peters Golden Ale (25/1/2014), Woodfordes Wherry (8/2/2014), Muntons Premium Gold Old Conkerwood Black Ale (26/2/2014), Coopers Original Stout (16/3/2014)
Waiting in the wings: Woodfordes Wherry, Muntons Imperial Stout.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:02 PM   #12
Tean Buns

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Festival old Suffolk strong Ale

I have done the Suffolk Strong Ale and the Pilgrim's Hope ... I have not had brilliant results with either of them ... but I suspect that my overly hard water could be leaching too much bitterness out of the hops and spoiling the beer. The Suffolk has huge bitterness, to the point of it tasting like wormwood ... and not being particularly pleasant too drink. disappointed.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:16 PM   #13
peelman
Captain Awesome

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This was my last kit. It was ok but not half as good as the festival stag summer ale.

Old 13-03-2014, 06:18 PM   #14
Redsnapper

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Got one of these kits bubbling away.Really impressed by the kit contents.Smells great.Gonna try and leave it in Primary for 14 days to clear before bottling.Can't rack as I have a bag of priming sugar to batch prime ( only have a single second f.v.) 1st time for a batch prime should be interestin'

Cheers

Bottled Conditioning : Coopers IPA,Ultimate Brewery Classics English Porter,Festival Old Suffolk Strong Ale,Betterbrew Northern Brown,Festival Razorback IPA,Betterbrew IPA,Betterbrew Irish Stout,Surfers Reward Cornish Ale,Festival Father Hooks Best Bitter,Woodfordes Wherry,Brewmaker Northumberland Brown Ale,Festival Pilgrims Hope,Youngs American Oaked Rum Ale.

Drinking : All of the above, hic!!

Old 08-04-2014, 07:03 PM   #15
bootneck

My third attempt at brewing have just put this 8 to fv airlock very active after only a few hours have it on a brew belt at constant 22 degree.

Will keep posted.
I intend to put it into a different fv at day 5 when I add the hops any views on this ?

Old 08-04-2014, 08:47 PM   #16
peelman
Captain Awesome

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

19 for me. 22 ok though.
If I do this kit again I honestly wouldn't add the dry hops. Didn't seem to suit the beer but that's just my personal taste??

Old 12-04-2014, 01:16 AM   #17
Redsnapper

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Festival Old Suffolk Strong Ale

Brewed this on 12/03 and bottled on 27/03 reckon I got a 5.5% ABV. This only went in the cold a couple of days ago but is already going fast.Lovely strong malty and bitter flavour.Still a bit green and too hoppy for me.Mebbe only half the hop pellets next time.Although if I could be more patient this may mellow out.
I know IPA is all the rage and all the emphasis seems to be on the Festival Razorback IPA. But this is great, right up my Strasse!! Have stashed away 6 bottles for a 6 month tester but already know that they will be lucky to last another month.
Really impressive kit.Im gonna get a couple of these on the go pronto I like it that much.
Highly recommended

Bottled Conditioning : Coopers IPA,Ultimate Brewery Classics English Porter,Festival Old Suffolk Strong Ale,Betterbrew Northern Brown,Festival Razorback IPA,Betterbrew IPA,Betterbrew Irish Stout,Surfers Reward Cornish Ale,Festival Father Hooks Best Bitter,Woodfordes Wherry,Brewmaker Northumberland Brown Ale,Festival Pilgrims Hope,Youngs American Oaked Rum Ale.

Drinking : All of the above, hic!!

Old 17-04-2014, 06:48 PM   #18
bootneck

Just put this into the keg with the priming sugar, it didn't have as big a yeast cake at the landlord best bitter , it also didn't have the homebrew yeast smell about it ! Hope it's ok , well we will see in a months time .

Old 22-04-2014, 06:45 PM   #19
bootneck

Yes I know it has only been in secondary fermentation for 6 days but I had to try it .
Not clear of course yet but, I would be happy to pay for the taste it's fantastic , no homebrew yeast smell about it just a really nice drink.
I plan to try a half pint every week till its clear .
Must get another festival beer kit on the go, I'm thinking landlords best bitter again brewed short to 15 Lt to make it a tad stronger .

Old 23-04-2014, 11:19 AM   #20
Joeyriles
Brew Baron

Liked 214 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm about to kick this off this week. Any suggestions as to how to boost the strength?

Joe

Currently Conditioning:

Der Adler Teutonic Lager (in the keg)

Irish Londoner Stout Porter (Irish malt, English ale yeast from Ringwood Brewery.)

Currently Drinking: everything.