Wine saver as a degasser

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldbloke

Regular.
Reaction score
Amused by the posts last year about using one of those vacuum pump wine savers as a degasser, I got one.
Was wondering how I was going to fit it to a demijohn, discovered the rubber stopper fits the top of a bubbler (6bulb serpentine type)
So thought maybe have a bung&bubbler sanitised, use it blah blah
But just for fun, tried applying the thing to a bubbler that was in use (on a wine that's theoretically stabilised and clearing but still seems to put out the odd bubble)
With care you can suck gas out of the demi without the water in the bubbler being (a) sucked out or (b) falling back into the demi
So I reckon if I do that once a day until the levels stay on the 'more pressure outside' side, job done.
Option b above is a serious risk though - you can't pump much out in one go

Could you remove the water ftom the air lock for degassing? You are going to be filling all headspace with co2 anyway by degassing.

Simpler to swap it out for the sanitised empty one dedicated to the pump.
My thinking is using it on the existing bubbler avoids bung removal/refitting.
If you pump too much out, there'll be an air inrush when you release - the water in the existing bubbler tells you when to stop to avoid that

Well, I'm not claiming it's very effective. I typically just leave my stuff to clear for yonks with a bit of a shake now and then to shift the gas. It has to be better than that, but probably not worth buying a winesaver for. If you happen to have one, might be fun to try it though

I've seen a 'whip' on eBay advertised for wine degassing, £11 or there abouts, fits to a cordless drill. Pretty sure I'll stick to the free method of shaking my demi's.

Latest posts

Back