Milestone Shine On

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thanks for setting the review up-will be brewing this tomorrow. My first Milestone kit and fourth brew of the year, after a Wherry and two stouts. I wanted something a bit lighter. What's in the box? Two cans of extract one yeast sachet and instructions. The instructions are fairly straight forward. No alterations are suggested which is OK as I'm doing it straight. Suggested fermenting temp between 17 and 24 so I'll go for a standard 20 in the brew fridge. I'll post regular updates.

OK - first thoughts. the wort is the most viscous I've ever come across. Even with lots of boiling water soaks I had trouble getting it all out of the can - hence slightly high end temp of 26C. Pitching temp is given up to 25 so hopefully no harm done as I forgot to take the temp before pitching. The wort is light coloured and pleasant tasting. Corrected OG was 1040 which is the quoted value so I guess I got it all out in the end. Now in the fridge set to 20C. Target SG 1009 which would give 4.4%. Updates to follow

Just had a look and a sniff. Nice rich foam head in the fv an a clean smell, not very strong. Gravity dropping nicely, wort is a light straw and there is a very pronounced citrus tang to it. Looking forward to this one.

Down to 1009 and steady, exactly as predicted on the instructions, giving 4%. Now cooling with finings added (just because I had a sachet lying around). Planning on bottling about a dozen, or however many I sterilise before getting bored, and barrelling the rest.

Colour is still light, taste is becoming more bitter, but there is still the citrus tang to it. Interestingy enough there is very little smell to the beer.

Switched this from warm to cold conditioning yesterday and decided to try a glass this evening. Not yet clear but still interesting.

Aroma is not particularly strong. Colour is straw. The taste appears first at the back of the tongue, almost a sharp taste, then the sweetness spreads forwards. A pleasant balance of bitter and sweet with a hint of lemon, almost fragrant. Very good head retention on the glass. Looking forward to seeing how this matures.

After another 5 days undisturbed this has finally cleared in the barrel and settled down. The taste is similar to a German Kristalweissen but slightly more hoppy and less fizzy (the Germans put rice grains in the bottom of the glass to keep the bubbles flowing). They usually serve it with a slice of lemon which I don't like so always ask for it 'Ohne'. Funnily enough the Shine On has a slight citrus twang to it which offsets the additional hop taste. I was thinking I would add this to my list of brews not to bother with in future, but it is slowly creeping to the possible list. We will see how it develops.

I made a Shine On kit at the end of December and very much agree with your comments. At first I wasn't sure about it, some subtle flavours going on and different from the kind of beers I usually drink. Light, hoppy, citrus notes.

During February it gradually grew on me. I don't know if that was just me or the benefit of time. I tried it again mid-March and while not likely to make my top 10, I did enjoy it.

Fortunately Wilko twisted my arm with 25% off so I'll give it another go. I might enjoy it more in the summer.

I had wondered, given the length of time it took to clear if I had legged it too early. That suspicion was confirmed today when I got back home after ten days away and the pressure had caused a leak round the tap seal. I tapped off the pressure (and had a swift pint) then spent an hour mopping up!

Just started a Milestone Shine on today. Never done a Milestone brew before, instructions were clear and easy to follow. Everything was straight forward. Looking forward to how it developes, going to try and leave this brew for 6 weeks in the keg to see if that bit extra time, improves it.

Milestones Shine On. 28/10/14. Pitched at 23 degrees - 21litres. OG was 1042/44. Taste at OG test was lovely malt and sweet with citrusy (orangey) overtones with a bit of lasting bitterness at the back of the tongue. The smell of this beer at start is really nice and fruity, more citrus than any previous beer. Interesting malt flavours with this as you can really taste the raw grains rather than the normally very sweet malt that other kits give you.

I really like this beer. Ok, it looks like a lager and doesn't have a massive body but the flavours are really good. Warming orange peel - zesty and nice. Good carbonation which lasts and a good little bit of bitterness mixed with sweetness. Well done Milestones!

I'm just coming to the end of my second batch of Shine On and I find myself looking forward to a bottle before dinner sometimes. I don't think I would drink it all night but it has interesting flavours and is certainly a good quality kit as are all the Milestone kits I have tried.

Wilko don't seem to do it any more and it doesn't seem to be on the Milestone site. Does anyone know if it is still available? I would definitely make it again.

Old thread, but just tried my kit brew that I did a few weeks back, only addition was 25 grams of cascade as a dry hop. must admit really like this brew. Nicely carbed, good head all the way down the pint and the hops really , well shine on.

Latest posts

Back