Growing hops "oop north" in Lancashire

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colin

Reaction score
I live in Leigh, Lancashire and am planning on buying some rhizomes. The ground is clay and we only get sun in late afternoon. Does anyone have any recommendations/experience of what would work well and what to avoid?

Colin

Bramling Cross doesn't mind the cold (in fact needs a cold winter to grow well), therefore would be ideal. Clay is not ideal, I would put it in a large pot with good drainage.
Height is a must, or yields will be poor if it goes 'bushy' with not enough light getting to the whole plant.
It must be south facing, any shortening of the day is a no-no. Hops need 14 hours daylight, hence the reason why hops are grown in certain areas worldwide.

Make sure they are female!

Regards

Hoppy

Hoppy said:
Make sure they are female!

Hi Hoppy, How is that done? Also, London has mostly clay, is there a variety that'll thrive in that?

Sorry to hijack the thread Colin :oops:

Dig in some compost. Main thing is to ensure drainage. Or grow in pots, like I said.

WBR

H

And the sexing thing Hoppy? is it a matter of seeded or seedless stock?

As Colin said, you grow them from a rhyzome, a root cutting. I was joking really, you wouldn't bother to take a cutting from a male, as they don't produce hops.

You cannot use seeds, if for example you have a fuggle plant, how would you know what pollenated it? Usually a wild male, so to speak. The resulting plant might not exhibit the characteristics for brewing.

Just get your cutting from a reputable grower.

WBR

H

Cheers Hoppy. I've only got a small London garden but I've got the 'all clear' the grow them ........... You never know with my misses :roll:

That's good to know for growing hops in Manchester, my front garden gets sun all day and I have a large fence to train them along.

I'm in Chester and grew Target, EKG and Bramling X last year. All seemed happy enough and have already got new growth on the Rhizomes for this year.
EKG was the most prolific in year 1

I also second growing them in pots with 10' cane tripods. Just snip out the top as it reaches it and the plants will bush outwards rather than upwards!

DA

finished off my planters last night. going to paint and then line them on monday and then order some hops to go in!

Just reading this a little late! Pjam, you can plant your hop in a big pot for the first year, and in that time condition your soil with things like tansy (or summink, a quick google will help). Tansy (or whatever it is I'm thinking of; teasel? ) will dig its roots into the clay and open up the soil structure for you. In year two, pull up the tansy or whatever and dig in your hop. It'll have a much better chance then. You really want your hop in the ground long term.

Also, I'm at 55oNorth in Ireland, and I'm doing fine. :)

I'm thinking i'll put mine in to pots this year(when i get round to buying them), Maybe one on the allotment and one at home. With it being the first year having my allotment the soil is very poor and i'm unsure where is sunny during the summer months.

So I'm planting mine tomorrow. Bit of an experiment, am I possibly the most northern in Dundee?
I have a nice high south facing wall at the yard at work, gets the sun all day, well..... at least for the one day of sun we get.
Fuggles and Challenger

We have life, 3 out of 4 plants have stuck their heids oot. happy days.

Brett said:
We have life, 3 out of 4 plants have stuck their heids oot. happy days.

Excellent :D Mine too :D

And the ones in a allotment around the corner are 2 foot high! :eek:

Smiddylad said:
Two foot high, whats his secret

They were planted by a person unknown many years ago. The present allotment users have done nothing to care for them! they just come back each year, climbing up the perimeter fence.

Mine are now 1 inch :whistle:

I checked my plants again yesterday. The target has 3 new shoots about 12" tall, the Bramling X appears to be dead (but it's a late starter so i'll give it a little longer) and the EKG has gone off like a rocket! There are about 12 shoots, the longest being at least 2 foot already!

DA

Latest posts

Back