herms in tesco kettle build in process

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobyipa

Landlord.
Reaction score
got 4 quid in tesco coupons so went ahead and bought the kettle for £2.50
had the pipe spare from me chiller upgrade

been looking at doing herms so though why not

still not sure of the process yet but sounds interesting :? :?
the flow rate of wort etc

14 coils of 10mm copper pipe

:drink:

I have been thinking of doing something similar recently but I don't have any 10mm copper pipe. I don't want to buy a whole load, any idea how much you used? I might chuck an ad on freecycle.

I think this is the way I will go when I finally setup a Herm's system. Looks tidy mate :thumb:

joe1002 said:
I have been thinking of doing something similar recently but I don't have any 10mm copper pipe. I don't want to buy a whole load, any idea how much you used? I might chuck an ad on freecycle.
I don't know if you have near you, but theres a shop round here called tubes valves and fittings which you can buy microbore copper by the metre. Might be worth trying a similar shop.

joe1002 said:
about 3 and half metres ish

beermaker said:
nice job of the coiling! :thumb: looking very tidy!
taken near on 20 metres of previous coiling practice to master the coiling
my 1st attempts were pretty untidy but practicable

so 10 15 metres of practice and i sussed it
:thumb:

nobyipa said:
joe1002 said:
about 3 and half metres ish

danb said:
joe1002 said:
I don't know if you have near you, but theres a shop round here called tubes valves and fittings which you can buy microbore copper by the metre. Might be worth trying a similar shop.
Thanks Dan, it would appear they only have the one shop in Mansfield.

Not sure if I've missed something :wha: but it looks like you only have one inflow into your pipe and no outflow...you need and in and out flow so that the wort can go through the kettle which will be filled with water.

Cononthebarber said:
Not sure if I've missed something :wha: but it looks like you only have one inflow into your pipe and no outflow...you need and in and out flow so that the wort can go through the kettle which will be filled with water.
build in process yes there is an out just needs to be soldered
see pic 2

Paddye said:
how did you make the coils without putting a kink in the pipe?

very patiently filled with table salt sealed both ends rolled round plastic drain pipe :thumb:

StevieDS said:
Just wondering if you had a nightmare getting the salt out afterwards as I did :evil:

yup it takes a hour o so
and fills everywhere in spilt salt :twisted:

It must've took me more like 3 hours! I think there was a little bit of moisture inside the pipe before I began and the salt just blocked the pipe solid. Very frustrating.
Other than that though it certainly works brilliantly in avoiding kinks in the pipe :D

Paddye said:
Aha so thats the trick. Thanks for the info.

make sure it is completely packed with salt the whole 4 metres if using used or old pipe make sure it is dry as possible
start the bend midway down the pipe [leaving enough straight pipe for the out put] using a plastic drain pipe or similar sized tube bar once you get the bend continue all the way round till you get your first complete ring
from there patience will get the result you need [looking for around 14 coils]

now once you have finished you have to empty the salt out which can be a pain [again patience is the key]
keep spinning and pouring the salt out do not stop till all is evacuated out of the pipe
when its empty you should be able to blow down the pipe if not you still have salt to remove keep tapping spinning tapping spinning until all the salt is removed
once all the salt is gone only then clean the coils out with water

Latest posts

Back