Across The Pond... #3AG again...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cactus Jack

Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking to rebrew my Across the Pond APA with some changes. I really liked the first (http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=48322), so I guess essentially this is a different brew. Looking for zesty spiceness hence the change in yeast, addition of rye malt, late addition cascade and Kaffir lime leaves steeped when bottling.

Across The Pond v2
American Pale Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 10.0
Total Grain (kg): 2.670
Total Hops (g): 56.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.057 (°P): 14.0
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014 (°P): 3.6
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.60 %
Colour (SRM): 6.4 (EBC): 12.6
Bitterness (IBU): 44.7 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill
----------------
1.089 kg Wheat Malt (40.79%)
0.951 kg Pale Ale Malt (35.62%)
0.400 kg Rye Malt (14.98%)
0.118 kg Torrified Wheat (4.42%)
0.056 kg Crystal 60 (2.1%)
0.056 kg Flaked Oats (2.1%)

Hop Bill
----------------
8.0 g Northern Brewer Leaf (9.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.8 g/L)
6.0 g Northern Brewer Leaf (9.7% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
6.0 g Northern Brewer Leaf (9.7% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
30.0 g Cascade Leaf (8.4% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (3 g/L)
6.0 g Cascade Leaf (8.4% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (0.6 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
1.7 g Kaffir Lime Leaves @ 0 Minutes (Bottling)

Fermented at 21°C with Belgian Saison

MASH
60 for 30 mins
68 for 40 mins
77 for 20 mins

Interested in opinions particuarly the use of Rye Malt? :hmm:

Cheers :cheers: all.

Morning , I'd drop the tori wheat unless you like the roughness it brings . A lovely sub can be flaked wheat which has a smoothness to it . Hope it goes well .

Yes I don't see the need for the TW. Good looking recipe though.

Wanting the TW to increase body and help improve head creation and retention. May try flaked wheat next time as have purchased the TW. Also read that TW can impart some taste, although the smoothness you mention Pittsy from flaked is tempting. :cheers:

Newbie question here, what effect are you going to get from a saison yeast brewed at lower than saison temperatures? A similar fruity pepperiness but more subdued?

As the weather is warming I was thinking of giving a saison a go due to my lack of temperature control. Was a little concerned though as even my sun drenched back bedroom isnt going to reach the 26-32 C the Mangrove Jack saison yeast suggests.

I guess I could extend this question to be, is a saison yeast a good yeast to use for non saison (like an APA or IPA) beer, if you're stuck with warm fermenting temperatures?

Hi strongarm, I'm new to brewing myself so can't really help. All I can say is I brewed a wheat beer with saison and it imparted definate spiceness. Highest ferment temp would have been 22. So far the only yeast that I can tell has a real different flavour profile. But as I said I'm inexperienced, hopefully someone else can help. From the instructions for the yeast it stated pitch low and let the temp build.

There will be esters and phenols with a saison yeast that may not be ideal for some types of beer but that depends on what you like really . The colder it ferments the less 'spice' will be produced , i would of thought around 16c is the minimum temp to brew with it . I would brew a saison beer first to see if you like it before using it on another beer .

OK, brewed this today. Changed the hop schedule slightly to:

7g Northern Brewer Leaf (9.7% Alpha) @ 60 Mins
14g Northern Brewer Leaf (9.7% Alpha) @ 15 Mins
30g Cascade Leaf (9.7% Alpha) @ 5 Mins

All went well, slightly better efficiency with an OG of 1.059. Smelt good looking forward to this one :party:

:hmm: thinking about it I tend to look forward to all of them. :drink:

Hi clibit, you could be right as the wheat malt should aid head formation and retention. Hmmm...... :hmm: however, for now I'd keep the TW as I liked the first version of the beer and TW may have played apart. :cheers:

Removed the blow off tubes swapping for airlocks yesterday. First time I'd seen the brew under the towels since racking to primary. The amount of trub is astonishing :eek: , far more than any other beer I've brewed. Is this down to the rye?
The trub is also very uneven like a mountain range not flat as previous brews.

Bottled this today. Fg of 1.010 giving an abv of 6.2. A little higher than I wanted. Great taste though, citrusy cascade notes followed by a spicyness from the rye and saison yeast. Can't wait until it's bottle conditioned.

Back