Rhubarb wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sportyfish

Reaction score
I've been doing a couple of kits of beer as i rapidly get hooked onto the world of home brewed beers, but now I'm planning to do a batch of rhubarb wine in about a months time when I can harvest enough rhubarb from the garden.
Does anyone have any particularly good recipes, advice or general thoughts on how best to do my first homegrown home brew?
I'm currently planning to follow a John Wright recipe I found in a Guardian article which suggested 1.5kg rhubarb, 1.3kg sugar, white grape juice concentrate, white wine yeast and yeast nutrient to make 1 gallon/6 bottles.
Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Sounds challenging!
If I'm going to do the proper homegrown thing though it's either rhubarb or onions to choose from!
Will give it a go and report back, if it's not too good then will save for the visit of any unwanted guests.

It was the abundance of rhubarb at my allotment and some rhubarb wine that got me brewing and wine making, it was made with the hedgerow kit. I intend to make it myself this year.

To answer your question about a good recipe if you want to give it a go, Google it, there are many good recipe's out there, there's probably some on the forum if you do a search.

I've made rhubarb a couple of times and have fermented on the pulp for a couple of days in a couple of those attempts. The beauty of fermenting on the pulp with raisins and sugar in the mix is that you can make a wonderful rhubarb crumble with that which remains when you rack off the juice .

Sporty ~ I am going to give rhubarb a blast this year as well.
I have looked at google for some recipes and there are a few there, some of which appear better than others.
What I have decided to do prior to hanging my hat on one of them is pop down to Harris's (LHBS).
They keep numerous recipe sheets behind the counter of which all tend to go by modern yeast and ingredient types.
I will see if I can post it up for you when I have got it.

I made 12 bottles last year, have only tried one so far after about 6 months, I was quite impressed.

One recipe that I followed suggested chopping it up, freezing the rhubarb, then defrosting it then refeezing and defrosting a couple of times to help break it down and get more juice from it, then put it in a bucket, with sugar to pull the juice out, then after 3 days, mash it and squeeze as much as possible.

I did try to make 6 of the 12 bottles into a Rhubarb fizz, but it didn't carbonate, although my elderflower did.

Correction to my comment above.

I referred to fermenting on the pulp but what I should have said was to chop up the rhubarb and break the skins of the raisins then put the sugar over the mixture. This is using the sugar to pull the juice out of the fruit. It takes a couple of days and once you have taken the juice off and done a bit of a wine sparge and rinsed the fruit for use in the wine. Its this mixture that remains that is great for rhubarb crumble.

Mine turned out to be sparkling unintentionally. The principal acid in rhubarb is malic. As it was nether washed, cooked nor sulphited, a malolactic fermentation took place in the bottles and a lot of wine was wasted as it was in used screwtop bottles stored on their sides, so beware!

Hi I'm new at this ,I have a rhubarb recipe I'd like to try but can't get white grape juice only need 250 MLs (am in New Zealand ) this is in a Hedgerow recipe and sounds great anyone out know where to get white grape concentrate ?

I'm on the third year of brewing rhubarb wine and the most recent recipe involved 8lbs of red rhubarb stalks. I put layers of sugar and chopped unpeeled rhubarb into my bucket and waited a couple of days before straining the fluid off and pouring hot water on to get more juice out. I measured the gravity of the must with 2lbs of sugar in and then added enough additional sugar to get a final abv of 14%.

Tastes rather good after only ten months. Mind you I became impatient with the slow clearing of this gallon and used bentonite.

NB this wine seems to go through a period of tasting very rough around 3-6 months but then improves vastly with a bit more time.

Hi tonyhibbett well tried to get my grape juice no go ,most send there grapes away to get made into wine those that make there own say against health regulations so found some red grape must made my rhubarb wine but had to throw it away smelt of rotten eggs tried every thing no go so now have some frozen strawberry and would like to make rhubarb and strawberry need a nice easy recipe first

here is a post how to make rubarb wine. Its not realy easy because of getting out the acid can be hard. but found a link on how to make a rubarb wine (english at the bottom) http://wijnmaker.blogspot.nl/2009/09/rabarberwijn-1-rhubarbwine-1.html

But love the idea of rubarb and strawberry..

I would make the rubarb juice as explained in the link and i would make a little strawberry jam. Boil some strawberries in some sugar and water and add this to the rubarb juice and add some pecto enzyme. The strawberry is a soft fruit and by boiling and the pecto it should leave a minimum of extra slush

Latest posts

Back