Einstok White Ale - help needed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawks

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi

this is one of my mates favourite beers at the moment and as he is 45 in May I was going to have a crack at something similar. I have never done a wit before, so starting with little knowledge it's hard to work out what is in there and what I need to order..

So any help would be great :thumb:

It's a Witbier with Orange Peel and Coriander Seed. I should think a Hoegaarden clone will be close and uncomplicated.

http://www.beertools.com/library/recipe.php?view=8617

Feel free to leave the munich/flaked oats and wheat out if it's too complicated. any noble hops will suffice as long as you aim for around 15-20 IBU - saaz, hallertau, tettnanger, etc. White Wheat is best but difficult to find in the UK - Pilsner malt is better than Barley Malt - if you can't find white wheat just use regular, but it will be a tiny bit darker and more flavoursome.

Most important thing is the yeast. Mangrove Jack's make a decent budget wheat beer yeast, or there is Danstar Munich which I havn't used - otherwise you're looking at liquid yeasts. high temps will kick out more banana flavour - lower will kick out more clove - generally speaking.

Thanks Rob, I think although Hoegarden maybe close, it is quite different ( in that he claims not to like it anywhere near as much ).

It could just be eased off on the coriander maybe, was hoping someone had tried it and had some idea of the hops..

Yeast wise, I am happy to use liquid, I normally use WLP023 but would move to a Belgian strain for this so no issues there. :thumb:

Think at the end of the day I was hoping pittsy had tried it :whistle:

Latest posts

Back