Is it worth getting a bottle tree/rinser

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andysbrew

Regular.
Reaction score
Just been looking on the Malt Miller website at the bottle trees and rinsers.

Only just started brewing beer and want to bottle my next brew, I have little bottler, currently shopping for a fermentor with tap and have been looking at bottle tree and rinser.

Are they worth the money for occasional use?

Thanks

Can I offer the opposite view - definitely no - I've never had one and don't plan to buy one. I am able to bottle a brew in between 1.5Hrs and 2Hrs without any prob. The important thing is to ensure you thoroughly rinse the bottles you have emptied as you empty them, then on bottling day a quick wash in steriliser and a rinse in warm water does the trick, I then leave them neck down in the crates for 20 - 30 mins then bottle.

Everyone's different!!

I find the red plastic bottle tree useful with the plastic scooter thing on the top someone bought me. It sat in the cupboard for a year or 2 but I find it's useful. I use cardboard boxes rather than crates for bottles so it's useful to me. I previously used to use dishwasher on hot rinse but that is a faff that takes ages. Along with the (overpriced blaster) I have plumbed in outside for the quick rinse of other peoples bottles the bottling process is fairly speedy nowadays, but it's all relative.

LeithR said:
Can I offer the opposite view - definitely no - I've never had one and don't plan to buy one. I am able to bottle a brew in between 1.5Hrs and 2Hrs without any prob. The important thing is to ensure you thoroughly rinse the bottles you have emptied as you empty them, then on bottling day a quick wash in steriliser and a rinse in warm water does the trick, I then leave them neck down in the crates for 20 - 30 mins then bottle.

Everyone's different!!
You will wonder why you never got 1 if you tried it !!
Get 1 asap and some star san . Sterilising takes around 5 mins and bottling takes around 40 mins and you don't have to **** about trying to balance em upside down.
Easily saves an hour per bottle day .

I did around 8 batches before getting one and along with no rinse sterilising its a godsend.
Loads quicker to do.

Definitely quicker and I would recommend, but also not a necessity. I think if you are just starting out you would be better saving your cash and investing in your next brew rather than buying more kit. If you get addicted to it (like the rest of us) and are finding bottling is taking forever then look into getting one. Just my point of view :D

I mainly use mine for bottling wine and I have to say both the rinser and tree were a really good investment. I fill the rinser with videne and plunge a couple of time then onto the tree. Job done in half the time it took me to dunk in a sink and then drain. I agree, for anyone who hasn't used one, you don't know what your missing.

I bottled three brews without one, then bought one from my lhbs because it was only £14, wished I'd got it when I first started now, so much easier, I use videne with it.

I make my beer in an apartment, tree saves space and time. You can skip bottle rinser and replace it with a small bucket with starsan, then put it on the tree.

I just got a bottle tree and rinser and switched to star san. It saves a lot of farting about. I get all the bottles done in about 5 mins.

I tend to clean them all as I drink the beers then keep them stored in a box with a lid on so they just need a few sprays from the rinser and a quick dip of the necks in star san just to be sure then they all go on the bottle tree.

It's very convenient but by no means essential. I got by fine without them, it just took a hell of a lot longer.

Santa brought me a bottle tree and steriliser squirter the Christmas before last.

Best thing my in-laws have ever given me :thumb:

Hated bottling. Like REALLY hated it. Since I got my tree, rinser and beer gun I don't mind bottling and can get a batch done in 30-45 mins.

Piece of cake.

K

I'm with LeithR on this one, I can't see how it would benefit me.
When I pour a beer the bottle gets brushed, rinsed, good spray with starsan then capped with a little square of tin foil.
Then on bottling day I give each bottle a shake, remove cap, pour out excess starsan and fill.
I don't faff around trying to balance the bottles upside down to completely drain.

I got one for my last bottling day, along with some starsan, I don't know how I did without it, it's saved about 2 hours. Definitely the way to go :cheers:

They are great, especially when used with star San.

On that note another thing I do is rinse my empties out with hot water and then add a little star San. Pop the top back on and you are good to go for the next time!

I just use my tree for a second blast on bottling day.

I agree with Duncs,got mine for Christmas and it saves so much faffing about :thumb:

Back