Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Kit Brewing Discussion. > Youngs American IPA

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 27-04-2014, 07:57 PM   #21
Lonick

Just started brewing again. I've got the American Pale Ale version. Also rather than using the pack of yeast that comes with it, i'm using White Labs California Ale Yeast WLP001.

Fingers crossed and i'll let you know how it goes.

Old 30-04-2014, 08:09 AM   #22
tobiasbeecher
IPA King

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This has finished, 18 days in primary. FG of 1.005, making that... 6.69%. Not bad... Havent tasted it yet though.

Old 30-04-2014, 06:51 PM   #23
crafty-man

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default so far so good on the IPA

Four days in and still bubbling away. Temp hovering around 22. As this is my first brew I don't think i will lift the lid until it stops bubbling. Actually, my FV has a tap on it, should I take my gravity sample from here?

Old 01-05-2014, 07:09 AM   #24
tobiasbeecher
IPA King

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I found that at 21-22 degrees, it took around 16 to 17 days to finish bubbling and settle at FG of 1.005. I would suggest start taking daily readings at 14 or 15 days and then you can be sure. Use the tap, no need to crack the lid open!
marinali29 Likes This 
Old 10-05-2014, 08:03 PM   #25
crafty-man

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default questions at this juncture

At 14 days the burst of bubbles has gone from every 30 seconds at its peak down to one every 5 mins. So I took a gravity sample this morning of 1.005. I can't see it getting any lower. the sample was very cloudy but tasted ok depite its yeastyness.
Does this level of C02 indicate the end of the fermatation phase?
Or is it more to do with the SG?
Whilst the instructions say that CO2 production drives off the hop aromas it does also say that hops can be added below 1.010
I guess i'm ready to move it to the pressurised cask for conditioning.
Apart from chucking in the hops, am I to assume the cloudiness will settle once in the cask?
I assume the cloudiness is due to the level of fermentation? does the activity completely stop or is it working at a much lower level once in the cask - enough for the yeast to drop out of suspension?

Old 11-05-2014, 09:08 AM   #26
tobiasbeecher
IPA King

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Mine was incredibly cloudy, more so because of the hops than the yeast. Either way after 3 weeks conditioning it had carbonated nicely and had cleared substantially, improving in taste too.

Give it a Coue more days, check gravity again and if it hasn't changed, keg it. Then leave it there a minimum of 2 weeks. I had better results waiting 3 weeks. It will then be pretty clear! Its not the clearest kit I've done but it does certainly settle well. I didn't add anything to try and clear it. All natural.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:09 AM   #27
roosterjones

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I bottled mine yesterday after 3 weeks fermenting & 2 days cold crash. Still super cloudy.
It finished at 1004. So a decent 6.8%.
Batch primed & put half into my new tap-a-draft system I picked up from wilko. Other half bottled.
Can't wait to try it, tasted awesome up till now.
Drinking: Coopers pale ale
Twitter, IG & Untappd - @roosterjones

Old 23-05-2014, 09:19 AM   #28
tobiasbeecher
IPA King

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well it has now bottle conditioned fully for 3 weeks, having spent 3 weeks in primary. I will be testing it tonight. 6.6%. I have high hopes considering how nice it was at bottling

Old 24-05-2014, 08:49 AM   #29
crafty-man

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default so far - so tasty

After 2 weeks of fermenting I transferred via the fv tap to the Youngs Ubrew 'pressurised' cask, all bar four pints of sludge. After conditioning in the dining room for two weeks it now tastes delicious and is only slightly cloudy. This morning I have moved it to the garage where I hope it will continue to improve.
As regards Youngs Ubrew kit - what a load of utter rubbish! the FV has very leaky lid, to which, I had to apply loads of sellotape in order to get the CO to go thru the bubbler.
The 'pressurised' cask tap leaks from the tap that came with it. This is the so-called improved design (the one with the two black o-rings) there is a big gap between the cylinder part that connects to the cask and the moving tap part.
When the holes line up - obviously fluid comes out and when the holes aren't lined up the 'fit' has to be tight enough that allows the tap to turn but does not allow fluid to creep round to the opening in the tap. The 'new' design has two o-rings above and below the opening in the tap part but the fit is very loose and surprise surprise it leaks - a lot!
So I went back to ye olde brew shoppe and they kindly gave me a replacement in the 'old' design which is much better but only stops leaking when the tap is in its sweet-spot.
The other problem is with the cap, the main seal for the cap is fine as long as one uses vaseline. The seal between the injector valve and the cap leaks if you over-tighten as the rubber washer distorts. So I stop tightening when the washer starts to distort - BUT it's not enough to keep the gas from leaking out. Also, when CO is injected, it comes out at minus 200 degrees causing the washer to shrink and go rock hard - result; loss of pressure - DOH!
There's more, oh yes. The pressure relief 'valve' is a clear silicon band covering a small hole in the side of the injector, this also seems to suffer the same problem. The cask is rated at 1 bar (15psi) yes I fitted a pressure guage - which doesn't leak! The problem is, it only holds pressure at 1/2 bar (7psi) - NOOOO!!. No wonder my brew is flat
Redron Likes This 
Old 28-05-2014, 05:50 PM   #30
tobiasbeecher
IPA King

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Well I just brewed a second batch of this, but this time it is the american pale ale rather than the american IPA. Here is the kit:

I pitched at 22 degrees, long with 25 litres. OG is 1.050 on the dot, so this should come out at around 5.25%. I will dry hop it with the included hops as well as citra and simcoe.