Bry97

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dronfieldbrewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
Bit of an experiment..I've read about this yeast and thought that I would give it a go,

I am due to brew attempt number 4 of a single hop brew along the lines of BG Sips or Crouch Vale Brewers Gold and it looks ideal for this yeast so...

for 80 litres:-

12kg of Maris Otter
1kg of Flaked Maize

hops..

Brewers Gold to 30 ibu with a massive hit of hops at the end of the boil

I read that this yeast is a slow starter but then goes like the clappers...Following the instructions on the packet, rehydrate 10 times weight in cooled boiled water...and use 1gm for each litre..so used 50gms of yeast (which does look a lot when compared to S04) but still in theory underpitched!!! rehydrated in 1/2 litre..leave for 15 mins then stir..

I pitched this yesterday at 10am. It formed a krausen by 12!!! Popped into the garage last night and can confirm the lovely smells from the fermenter..

the info states that this yeast is a top cropper, high attenuating, highly floculant yeast..So if it does these things it could be good for me as I find US05 a nightmare...I cannot get it to clear from beer properly.

Quick update..
This stuff set off like a rocket...Ive got over 4" of Krausen...its top cropping for England.
down to 1030 from 1041 in 24 hours at 19 degrees.
the literature says BRY97 attenuates to between 75% and 80%. The forums reckons that it drops like a stone.

We're testing it too, but it's not the flocculation the main problem we have with us-05 (we can filter or centrifuge), but the price we have been imposed by regional distie of Fermentis. Bry-97 is a lot cheaper, like 30%.

Ill update you...

The ferment has been steady for the last day or so, the BRY 97 has dropped from the original 1041 to 1008, the chiller went on this morning at 8:00 so we will see what happens now, its still very murky at the moment.

Early indications are that the beer will be lovely, its very "yeasty" at the moment but that is due, in the main, to its still fermenting!

Whilst fermenting I have cropped loads of yeast off the top of the fermenter, CIRCA 600ml so far, I have looked this morning when switching the chiller on and there is another crop of about 300ml to take off, Ill take the bulk of this off or it will add to the murkiness whist it drops out of suspension.

It's a great yeast Dronfield. I've started using this in any beer that I would have previously gone for US05......I find the same flocculation and clarity issues as yourself. A total PITA if you ask me :)
I've got one pack of US05 to use up, but I won't be purchasing any more of it.
You don't even need to cool right down to get the BRY to drop out; 10 degrees and some aux. finings do the trick nicely.
Very, very similar flavour profile to US05. Bit of speculation that the MM sells this yeast repackaged as West Coast.

Bit more update..
I collected some off the Brewers gold and used that in my next brew...The results are outstanding, steady ferment at 19 degrees. Dropped like a brick when finished and left the beer lovely and clear with the smallest amount of finnings..
I bottled some of the origional brew and can confirm that it is the doggies for bottling..sticks to the bottom of the bottle like glue

Back