Budget set up

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackofnotrades

Reaction score
Hi all, I've being brewing kits for a little while now and am rapidly running out of bottle space, so decided that ultimately a kegerator is the way forward.
Only issue is funds are a bit tight atm, I have a chest freezer that is not being used, a budget barrel with co2 injector cap and a Stella beer tap.
I know that ideally u need an stc 1000 and a corny/crusader set up, but is it worth starting with what I have (manually adding co2 when required and controlling the temp via the mains switch) and upgrading slowly when I'm a bit more flush

I'd have thought it might be a bit tricky and soon loose its novelty if you regulated the temperature manually. You might also end up with frozen beer. Besides, an STC1000 is only about £15.

Like J says and if you are running out of bottle space and short of funds just get some more they are free ..................................or do you just fancy going fancy :rolleyes:
S

U may get away with topping up co2 as and when but you cant afford to take such a Laissez-faire attitude toward temperature too.

temp and pressure are your 2 controllable inputs to the system, used to set and balance the correct level of condition held in the keg.

a steady temperature for the beer is the foundation for the pressure u set to achieve your target level of condition, without it the beer condition level will fluctuate with the temperature

Stc1000 currently on its way from china, so that's the temp issue sorted, hopefully using 3/16 pipe will help me balance the flow through the tap, now thinking a flow control fitting would be helpful though

Stc1000 currently on its way from china, so that's the temp issue sorted, hopefully using 3/16 pipe will help me balance the flow through the tap, now thinking a flow control fitting would be helpful though

fyi i use flow control taps which are gr8 for lower conditioned beers, but anything served above 6-8psi is a real PITA needing a fiddle every pint never settling at the sweet spot.. while lower conditioned beers are set n pour.

you could try a 2nd device inline to help, but the thin line is a cheaper and easier solution, and as its thin u can coil up excess length quite neatly while 3/8" tube is a bit stiffer and harder to hide..

Latest posts

Back