Brewing Bin

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gtbaker369

Reaction score
Hi all,
just been going through the process of making wine etc as im only really used to making beer.
The first part of fermentation is supposed to have access to Oxygen so a bin is bette used with a lid to keep nastys out.
The after a few days i can transfer into a demi with airlock.
The above is right isnt it?
Main question is if i could use my 5 gallon bin for a 1 gallon batch of wine for the first bit?
Dont worry i have a few 1 gallon demi's so the airlock process wont be a problem.

Cheers guys

Hiya mate - I stArt my country wines off in plastic fermenting buckets when they are on the pulp and then transfer the liquid to the DJ's.
If you are doing a kit wine though, just make it up as instructed straight into the demi, leaving head room for the initial couple of days, then top up as required.

The first part of fermentation is supposed to have access to Oxygen so a bin is bette used with a lid to keep nastys out.

Cheers guys

As long as you give the DJ a good shake before pitching the yeast there is no problem using a DJ under airlock, only fill to the shoulder as some wine can have a very volatile fermentation, you also need to leave room for degassing later if you don't want a fizzy wine.

Hi all,
just been going through the process of making wine etc as im only really used to making beer.

Not strictly true. You need to oxygenate the must for the yeast to reproduce etc. Once fermentation kicks in you don't want oxygen into the brew and the CO2 will protect the must from oxidising.

For your one gallon brew just start in a DJ and fill to the shoulder so there is room for the vigorous fermentation. Once that is done you can top it up to the neck to minimise oxygenation.

Once that is done you can top it up to the neck to minimise oxygenation.

As long as you dont keep removing the airlock the CO2 layer protects the wine so the head space above the shoulder is not a problem.

If you top up to the neck it makes degassing difficult especially if you use a degassing wand to make life easier, i tend to top up after racking to a clean DJ degassing, stabilising and clearing.

Hiya mate - I stArt my country wines off in plastic fermenting buckets when they are on the pulp and then transfer the liquid to the DJ's.
If you are doing a kit wine though, just make it up as instructed straight into the demi, leaving head room for the initial couple of days, then top up as required.

Cheers for that.
I'm going to be making country wines rather than kits. What I need to know is if i will be alright using a 5 gallon bucket for only 1 gallon before moving it to 1 gallon DJ?
The reason for me using the bucket is that my recipes state to stir twice a day for a couple of days before transferring to DJ with airlock.

Cheers

I always use a 5gal FV to start, and have never had any problems. Trying to get bits of fruit out of a dj is a royal pain.

Latest posts

Back