First BIAB, dry hop?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzharvey22

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi chaps,

My first BIAB was done at the weekend and i did a timothy taylor landlord clone, this recipe:

4.25kg Maris Otter Malt
30g Black Malt
50g Styrian Goldings (celia) Hops
30g East Kent Golding Hops
11g S04 yeast

i did a 60 minute mash, started at 68c and only dropped to 67 after an hour, so was happy with that.

The hop additions were:

30g Styrian goldings, 30g East Kent goldings - 75 mins
20g Styrian goldings - 15 mins

I got 18 litres with an SG of 1.042 and pitched yeast on 13/04/14 at around 18c

Do you think i should dry hop? If so what with and when?

i dont know the beer that you wanna clone, but i always like to dry hop, gives a fresher aroma, flavor from the hops!!!

:cheers:

I too always dry hop for the fresher flavours. You just need to wait 'til the activity has slowed to a crawl after usually at least 7 days. So now would be a good time, I'm sure. You only need to leave them in for a couple of days.
If you dry hop too early the alpha acids isomerise, like they do when you boil. This increases bitterness and loses freshness, which is why you wait for the fermentation to calm down. Remember to leave the brew to clear before bottling. This avoids getting as much sediment into the bottles and so you get a clearer glass of ale.:drink:You may want to leave it in a cooler place when you are sure the fermentation has finished. This will help the clearing.

Snap!

I did the same recipe exactly and it's been in the FV for 11 days, seems clear, and tastes superb...I'm not dry hopping as it tastes bang on the money. First AG, BIAB, and very happy.

Latest posts

Back