Partial Boil

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WER

Reaction score
I'm trying to put together some kit to do an AG brew and before I go out and spend loads of money on shines new equipment I have been wondering how to adapt what I already have. I've done a few kit brews so am ok with the 'post boil' part of the process.

I have a cool box which I could use for mashing in, or I could use a large stock pot and wrap it in an old towel, but given the losses to the grain and boil off neither are large enough to get a full 23l brew out of. Similarly, when boiling I won't be able to get a full brew boiled together.

Appreciate that I could just brew a smaller amount, but as the effort would be similar for a small and large brew I'm keen to maximise the reward!

I'm thinking that my only option is to do a partial mash and boil and then top up with water in the FV. Does anyone have any experience with this and how easy is it to calculate grain bills and hop amounts backwards?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I had the same problem and just bought another15 litre pot and split the wort into two pots which I boil on the stove at the same time.

If you fancy a bit of DIY you can make up a good fairly cheap AG set up using plastic FVs, kettle elements, taps, hop filter and assorted fittings.

Mine has served me well for several years (with a few improvements over time) and can easily handle 25litre brews.

Back