Wheat Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marmite

Reaction score
I've just made my first wheat beer using WLP 380 It started off at 1050 and I left it in the primary for 11 days at between 18-20c. The gravity is now 1016 ,higher than White Labs suggest. A good yeast cake on top still. The beer has some banana and possibly some apricot but very little of any clove or citrius flavours. Have I got this wrong? The beer is quite sweet and my non brewing mate says it tastes like "pop". No off flavours

Can you show us your mashing schedule?
lager malt 2835 grams, wheat malt 1814 grams, carahell 258 grams
Mashed at 67.5c for 90 minutes (single infusion) Sparged to 3 brix
23 litre batch size

Your mashing temp is a bit high, I would aim for 65-66°C that would possibly get the final gravity down a bit.

To get clove flavors like the ones found in Schneider Weisse you will need to include a rest around 44°C in the mash schedule, you can get clove flavors with a single temp mash but they may not be pronounced.

Thanks for that Jimmy. I've never done a two step mash before mainly for the following reasons.
1)My mash tun has no direct heat source.
2) I've always been skeptical about removing part of the mash and boiling it before returning to the mash tun-I would have thought this would have prevented further enzyme action.
3)I suppose I could do a stiff mash then dilute but when I got my strike temperature a bit low recently then removed some of the liquor for boiling and return, I was surprised how little the temperature increased.

Latest posts

Back