Coopers Stout with 'Extras'

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClarenceBoddicker

Reaction score
Having bottled my brewferm tarwebier I went for my last brew before summer. Bought a coopers stout kit in the wilkos sale and made up with brewferm dark lme, 500g Dark candi sugar and chucked in some dregs of golden syrup. Pit hed rehydrated brewferm yeast and sprinkled 3g of Coopers yeast too. Made up to 18l and may add another 2 when krausen has subsided. It's at 1.070 to start with.

Plan is to split in 4 batches for secondary in 5l water bottles and add:

Cocoa nibs soaked in vodka
Espresso
Oak chips soaked in whisky
And leave one au naturel

Let's see how it goes...

Sounds good. I did a Coopers Stout with 1kg of Treacle. I still have 2 bottles left at 7 months old. Would be interested to see how all 4 of yours get on. Good luck. I like the sound of Espresso. How are you doing that one then?:cheers:

Nice. How is it tasting? Just going to chuck a cold shot of espresso in when I split the brew into 4. Not altogether sure of my ratios for any of these so will go with caution on the amounts of additions.

It's gone off like a shot by the way.

That's a lot of treacle! Just topped mine up to about 19.5l as I thought it might have been a bit thick and strong even though I want an export style stout. It's down to 1020 now and does taste very thick and strong as thought. Has a hint of burnt chocolate though. Still bubbling away only 2 days in. Struggling to get hold of cocoa nibs so may have to go for a different option.

If my og was 1070 and I've watered down I guess there's no way of checking abv now?

Well i did it. Coopers stout with coffee!! I used a mocha coffee for the brew but ended up with nearly a litre of it. This has made the brew very thin (i didn't brew short) but the taste is beginning to come through now. Should improve with time.

I put coffee and mollasses in the stout I just brewed and bottled but wont know until christmas as thats when it will be opened.

Also I put lactose in mine as wanted a sweeter english stout not a guinness clone.

Oh mine wasnt a kit i cobbled together a recipe of my own making, will post it all seperately

I have a the same stout to do, I like the idea of chocolate and treacle or brown sugar, but what quantities should I use to get a good taste of both?

I would err on the side of caution and under do it a little, you want the taste to come through as your drinking it not to overpower it from the first sip

I have just done a Coopers Stout kit with 500g of raisins and 1kg of Muntons beer enhancer. The raisins were mixed with a bit of water with a hand blender and tipped into the FV, it then got the stir of its life and I sprinkled the yeast on before it went under the stairs. Just under 2 weeks later and the hydrometer readings (og 0.056 and fg 0.008), I'm looking at 6%+. Any ideas as what to expect after it's been in the bottle for a bit.

There is a calculator here and I expect your readings where og 1056 and fg 1008 giving you 6.4% + apx 0.2% from your priming, 6.6% in total, wow quite a brew.

Lets us know how it tastes with the raisins....

I did this around late November time. Recipe:
1.7kg kit
1kg Wilko Brew Enhancer (50% medium DME and 50% dextrose)
670g additional medium DME
200g chocolate malt (hot steeped speciality grain)
100g cacao powder

Made up to 19 litres - came out with an OG of 1.060. Fermented for 7 days and finished at 6.3% (FG = 1.0125). I have to say that it was a truly delicious brew - especially for a single can kit. Came into it's own around mid January, where it emerged as a really nice, chocolaty beer which felt like a "good mouthful." One of my favourite kits!

I did this around late November time. Recipe:
1.7kg kit
1kg Wilko Brew Enhancer (50% medium DME and 50% dextrose)
670g additional medium DME
200g chocolate malt (hot steeped speciality grain)
100g cacao powder

Made up to 19 litres - came out with an OG of 1.060. Fermented for 7 days and finished at 6.3% (FG = 1.0125). I have to say that it was a truly delicious brew - especially for a single can kit. Came into it's own around mid January, where it emerged as a really nice, chocolaty beer which felt like a "good mouthful." One of my favourite kits!

BRILLIANTLY! I have been wanting to do a chocolate brew for a bit now. Can you simplify the chocolate malt addition please as I am just a simple kit man? I have done a porter with hops and stuff but I'm not to up with some terminology. Cheers.

BRILLIANTLY! I have been wanting to do a chocolate brew for a bit now. Can you simplify the chocolate malt addition please as I am just a simple kit man? I have done a porter with hops and stuff but I'm not to up with some terminology. Cheers.

First things first: this was the first time I'd steeped grains: I'd say it was a resounding success but if anyone has any pointers on my method then please contribute :-)

This is what I did:
I basically went to my local homebrew shop and bought some pre-crushed chocolate malt grain. I put this in a bowl and poured boiling water over it (a bit like making a very malty tea). After a bit of stirring, I strained the wort into the FV with the rest of my stuff. I then repeated the process once more with hot water and then once with cold water (thinking to get most of the sugars out of the grain).

I should mention that my recipe was initially taken from a "Cellar Dweller" post by Gash Slugg (link shown below).
http://www.cellardweller.net/index.php/kunena/stout/381-coopers-chocolate-and-vanilla-stout-extract#1198

Back