just a couple more questions regarding cornies.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helluvatractor

Reaction score
hi all, i have completed my chest freezer conversion. i just have a couple questions:

do i need a check valve on the co2 line , or is this only needed when you are low on gas or if you think you might have a leak?

also, for ales, (with not a lot of carbonation), what length beer line would be about right? at the moment i am using about 11foot of 3/8 line, just because i dont want to cut it, but i'm thinking this may be a bit long. (there is about a third of a pint of beer sitting in all the pipes)

also, when do you clean beer lines? if they are sat for a while? once a week ?

cheers in advance:clap:

a check valve is necessary if the kegs are stored above the regulator and are in a risk of falling over, otherwise as long as you fill below the level of the gas in dip tube its highly unlikely you will need them.

afaik beerline length is relevant due to any restrictive qualities it has on the pressure maintained in the keg. 3/8" line needs to be a lot longer before it exhibits any significant pressure restriction. 3/16" line however restricts about 1 to 2 psi per foot length, close to 1 psi for the first foot and a bit more with each subsequent foot.. most find a circa 2m/6ft length will restrict most pressures used for beers successfully. i found flow control taps (twisty barrel taps) to be excellent for beers served at upto 8psi but tricky to set with higher pressures needing a tweek with every pint where with lower keg pressures its simple set once and empty the keg....

the target of restriction of the keg pressure is to get the pressure drop at the tap point to be minimal while pouring a pint in a reasonable time..

if the pressure drop at the tap is too high it can stimulate a foam out..

IMHO If u maintain pressure in your dispensing system and dont disconnect the kegs unnecessarily, its a closed system upto the tap point, so no need to clean between keg changes. The spouts however do need cleaning between sessions, if yours dont unscrew a squeezy bottle of warm cleaner and rinse squirted up em does the trick..

Latest posts

Back