Another Coopers Stout... with black treacle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mudds

Reaction score
Decided to get another brew on (1st of the year) so I decided to get the trusty coopers stout on. However with a couple of large Gins inside me I almost forgot a few bits!

Anyway, I brewed short to 21 ltrs with 220g of black treacle. Went to test SG when I remembered I had forgotten the beer enhancer! so got 1kg of that in and measured SG at 1024.

Cant believe I forgot the beer enhancer! At least I managed to get it in before I pitched the yeast but it was struggling to mix in at 24c.

Hope all is ok... That will teach me to kick off a brew without planning!

I did this kit last year with a tin of treacle, initially it had a really strong treacle taste but faded with time and conditioning. It was also really good super cold.

Altogether a cracking brew - your SG should be higher after the enhancer addition, but beer is a forgiving mistress so don's stress too much about the mistakes.

Cheers
BrewBilly

Thanks Brewbilly, looks like the fv is going well so should be all good, my last batch of treacle stout was a dream (and didn't last that long!)

Thanks Brewbilly, looks like the fv is going well so should be all good, my last batch of treacle stout was a dream (and didn't last that long!)

I brewed a Coopers Stout with a tin of Treacle back in September. Had the last 2 bottles over the Easter weekend. It was very nice. If i do it again i might try chocolate or coffee. Happy Brewing.

HELP ME!!!!

I have just opened a bottle of my Treacle Stout and it decided that it had been enough of being locked away. It went all over the place and left about 2 inches in the bottle when it had calmed down. I brewed it as i did the last time, using a tin of Coopers Stout, 1kg of DME and a 454g tin of Treacle. I did however prime this one with 50g of Wilkos brewing sugar.

The question is, did i do wrong with the sugar or will it "get better"? :???:

HELP ME!!!!

I have just opened a bottle of my Treacle Stout and it decided that it had been enough of being locked away. It went all over the place and left about 2 inches in the bottle when it had calmed down. I brewed it as i did the last time, using a tin of Coopers Stout, 1kg of DME and a 454g tin of Treacle. I did however prime this one with 50g of Wilkos brewing sugar.

The question is, did i do wrong with the sugar or will it "get better"? :???:

Hi Noddy, is this the brew from April or a different brew?

If it's recent, perhaps it got bottled a tad early?

Anything about timings / bottling etc might help to identify what seems to have gone wrong. The recipe you outline will be OK, if a bit "Bonfire Night" taste wise.

Please post up some more details...

Cheers Slid. Below is the info. i put in my brew diary, hope to get an answer off you soon. CHEERS.
HOME BREW NUMBER 10
Equipment: Home Brew Online HBO Starter Equipment Pack with Barrel
Beer Kit: Coopers Original Stout 40 Pint Beer Kit Price: £13.25
1kg Dark DME. £6.75
1 454g Treacle £1.45
METHOD
5th September 2014: Brewed this with the above ingredients today after reading lots of stuff on the Homebrew Forum. OG 0.044. This is the second time i have done this brew in this way.
6th September 2014: The brew is pushing the top off the FV just as the last time i did this one. I have actually seen the airlock bubbling!! I have never seen this before. Whoop Whoop!!
9th September 2014: Had a little peep at the brew tonight and it has done some of its work already, so i will hopefully bottle it next weekend. It smells ok too.
13th September 2014: The hydrometer reading is 0.010
16th September 2014: Bottled the brew today!! 12 1 pint bottles and 28 500ml bottles done. The brew was primed with 50g of Wilkinsons brewing sugar.
26th September 2014: I have just opened a bottle of the brew and it went everywhere!! There was about 2 inches left in the bottle by the time it had calmed down. I have just posted a question on The Homebrew Forum and i await the news.

Is it possible that your 50g pf priming sugar was not equally dispersed and this bottle had ended up with a fair amount of it?
Or was the beer very fizzy and possibly still fermenting at bottling?

If your hydrometer is OK (and the readings seem consistent with the brew having fermented pretty much) thern I can't think what else.

Try chilling it right down and opening another bottle. If you can remember what order you bottled - maybe it was pints first and 500ml second, then you could try one from the opposite end of the order you bottled in. (If you understand me! :?:).

If you have bottled any of it in screw caps, you could try loosening a bit and venting off some gas - but from what you say it sounds like crown caps.

Yes they are all crown caps Slid. I think i put the sugar in my bottling tub and then syphoned the wort on to it. In which case you could be right. I will chill one overnight and open it tomorrow after work. Thanks again for your views. I'll keep you posted.

RESULT!!

Just opened another bottle of the brew and...............nothing. There we were with the video camera expecting an eruption, but nothing happened. It tastes great though. The conclusion is that when anyone opens a bottle of this brew, they take it outside first!!:cheers:

Sounds like you just got too much priming sugar in one or two bottles.
Since there is a very good chance of at least one more like the first, steer clear of the plain coloured carpets :thumb:.

Used 500g dark spray malt,250g soft dark brown sugar,454g treacle, Have bottled mine now, been conditioning for nearly 1 week, will leave for one more week then will try it... :pray:

Sounds like you just got too much priming sugar in one or two bottles.
Since there is a very good chance of at least one more like the first, steer clear of the plain coloured carpets :thumb:.
Hi Slid

All's well with the Treacle Stout. Not many left now as you can imagine, but so far i've not had any more bombs!:thumb:

Back